New Lounger
    Thanks

How To Change the Logon Password in Eudora

New to the forum, so any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

I have been using Eudora 7.1 as my main e-mail program without any problem, but today I had to change my ISP password and now my Eudora will not accept the new Cpanel password,

From another forum posting (a now closed thread) it advised that for this problem to simply click on the "Special" option on the toolbar and to then select the "forget password" option, BUT when I click on "Special" as advised, the "forget password" option is greyed out and as such I can't select it.

Can anyone advise me as to how to get the greyed out option to become active, or how to change the Eudora access password.

I have five e-mail accounts attached to my Eudora program and all are essential.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

David

Thanks
    Not knowing anything about Eudora, what you have described sounds like Eudora has somehow lost at least part of its connection with your actual email account.

I suggest checking your server and email settings, to make sure that all is correct there. Your email provider may have changed some setting that you are unaware of; correcting that setting may fix the issue of not being able to update your password.

Another way you could likely fix this: turn off email synchronization on your current Eudora email profile (that is, tell it to stop checking for new email); then create a brand new Eudora profile for your email account. This will start you off clean and may in fact fix the problem without your having to figure out why that one thing was broken.

Thanks
    I've used and been a fan of Eudora for many, many years. I can check on my home computer tonight.

In the meantime, I found this. See post #3.
    https://forums.windowssecrets.com/sh...word-in-Eudora

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you both for the replies.

Thankfully, I was able to go back to my ISP account (and although told by them that once changed I could not change back to the old password) and discovered that I could change the new password back to the old password.

On reverting back to the old password, Eudora works perfectly.

Only problem being that the initial reason for being advised by the ISP company to change the password (receiving about 100 spam/non deliverable e-mails a day --- non sent by me !!!) is still there, so I guess that if I want to continue using Eudora, I will just have to put up with the unwanted e-mails and the using of my internet data.

Again thanks for the responses and advice, even though I still have no idea why the "forget password" option in my Eudora has been greyed out.

David

Thanks
    Glad you got got it worked out.

On my Eudora, the "forget password" was not grayed out. Just for fun, I clicked it, closed out. Opened up, it asked for password. So in theory, I guess it could've been changed. I put in my normal password and all is well.

Donna

Thanks
    One of the reasons I dropped Eudora is it doesn't support UTF-8, which is a fairly big deal these days since it became the default web standard a decade ago, and was recommended for all email programs 2 decades ago.

Is it possible your new password used a character not properly handled by Eudora? I don't know if the Latin character restriction would affect password entry, but my guess is it would.

receiving about 100 spam/non deliverable e-mails a day --- non sent by me
    That sounds like email spoofing, which has been going on since soon after spam started. It should pass in a day or two, as the spambot moves on to spoofing a new address. There is nothing useful you can do, except wait for it to pass.
    Lugh.
    ~
    Dell Alienware Aurora R6; Win10 Home x64 1803; Office 365 x32
    i7-7700; GeForce GTX 1060; 16GB DDR4 2400; 2 x 256G SSD, 4TB HD

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Lugh,

The new password only contained English letters (two with capitals) and a couple of numbers, definitely no foreign characters.

I had heard of "email spoofing" but didn't know what it was, thanks for the info. Unfortunately the "spoofing" in my case has been going on for some time --- sometimes only a few a day, then other days up to 100 or more.

The annoying thing is that when it occurs on mass, I seem to also receive a number of e-mails from "gobbly-gook" addresses stating that they made contact through my web sites "Contact" page and on opening these e-mails most seem to indicate Russia in the address (ie .ru ). DAMN ANNOYING !!!!!!!

David

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,150 Times in 1,071 Posts
    You need a better spam filter. My ISP has great primary filtering so most of those messages are refused by the ISP, then my mail program (Thunderbird) manages the rest - a few per month.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    You need a better spam filter.
    +1

I run 2 of my 3 accounts thru Gmail and Outlook.com for this reason, great filtering.

Around a decade ago, I switched our business accounts away from my web host and onto Gmail. Spam Assassin was letting too many thru, and the superb PopFile wasn't compatible with our local setup at that time.

15 years ago, we used to get ~2,500 spam/day for PopFile to chew on. With Gmail, and later Outlook.com, I haven't had a spam problem in a decade. I imagine many of the larger ISPs are much better these days too, like Paul's example.

Tip: if you do any online interacting [buying, joining etc…], don't go for a Challenge/Response anti-spam solution.
    Lugh.
    ~
    Dell Alienware Aurora R6; Win10 Home x64 1803; Office 365 x32
    i7-7700; GeForce GTX 1060; 16GB DDR4 2400; 2 x 256G SSD, 4TB HD