Thanks

World's most prolific writer

Interesting BBC article about how AI-generated text is gradually and inexorably finding its way into the everyday online world.

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Heaven, BBC
    “The tool removes the inconvenience of having to spend hours seeking design inspiration by looking at competitor listings and manufacturer sites,” says an Alibaba spokesperson. “The user can create their ideal copy with just a couple of clicks.”
    We have news about one AI churned out by another. Welcome to the future: at once weird and mundane.
    “holy matrimony drops from the sky”
    claim made in Alibaba’s press release that its AI copywriter can ace the Turing Test
    As soon as you load a webpage, the page lets the internet's ad-brokers know who is visiting and a high-speed bidding war kicks off, typically involving around 100 advertisers, with the winners getting to show you their ads. The whole process is over in 100 milliseconds, faster than the blink of an eye.
    If your online activity is similar to the person who previously bought footwear then it will advise a shoe advertiser to bid.
    “We could have a banner ad specifically tailored to a person’s tastes,”
    “For sale: baby shoes, never worn.”
    “Nobody notices,”
    In case you're skeptical about how far this can go, how about the First Digital Supermodel?

Quote Originally Posted by Damian Fowler, BBC
    They're digitally created. And to a lot of people, that doesn't matter at all.
    Lugh.
    ~
    Dell Alienware Aurora R6; Win10 Home x64 1803; Office 365 x32
    i7-7700; GeForce GTX 1060; 16GB DDR4 2400; 2 x 256G SSD, 4TB HD

Thanks
    Just remember that this is the BBC... once a mainstay of British life, now... well I just don't know. The 'Beeb' seems to get more irrelevant yet more politicised with every week that passes... (IMO )

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Corbett View Post
    this is the BBC … seems to get more irrelevant
    You should see what we have in the US, count your blessings

I spent a few years in internet advertising, have followed the field since, and am now on another side of the triangle—selling online. While most of the article is reporting Alibaba, JD etc news, the reporter's personal comments are all solid.

That said, Tech is definitely the BBC site's weakest subject by far.
    Lugh.
    ~
    Dell Alienware Aurora R6; Win10 Home x64 1803; Office 365 x32
    i7-7700; GeForce GTX 1060; 16GB DDR4 2400; 2 x 256G SSD, 4TB HD

Thanks
    Just remember that this is the BBC... once a mainstay of British life, now... well I just don't know. The 'Beeb' seems to get more irrelevant yet more politicised with every week that passes... (IMO )
    Rick, is the BBC owned by the British government? If so, then we have something similar here in the US -- the Corporation for Public Broadcasting. They have TV and radio stations, and they do news and cultural programming.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    Rick, is the BBC owned by the British government? If so, then we have something similar here in the US -- the Corporation for Public Broadcasting. They have TV and radio stations, and they do news and cultural programming.
    Hi Jim, It is a public service broadcaster but isn't owned by the government. Instead the BBC (or 'Beeb') is funded by an annual TV licence fee. It has a public mandate to present political content impartially but - unfortunately - regularly shows bias IMO.

Hope this helps...

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,143 Times in 1,064 Posts
    Bias is in the eye of the beholder.

cheers, Paul

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

Lugh (2018-09-18)

Thanks
    Hi Jim, It is a public service broadcaster but isn't owned by the government. Instead the BBC (or 'Beeb') is funded by an annual TV licence fee. It has a public mandate to present political content impartially but - unfortunately - regularly shows bias IMO.

Hope this helps...
    That's probably an accurate description of the Corporation for Public Broadcasting in the US, at least of all the member TV and radio stations. The stations are called "public" because they are (1) non-commercial, and (2) they carry the "public" broadcasts. Each station has to raise its own operating expenses, typically via telethons. I am always amused by these telethons - they finally show the programs you actually want to see when they are having a telethon; the rest of the year they show a bunch "forgettable" (you can't remember what they showed) programs, with a few operas and symphony concerts thrown in.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    Corporation for Public Broadcasting is NOT government owned just tax payer funded and founded by an act of congress. I do not see much news on the TV from them ( I may be missing that) they have a National Public Radio (NPR) network of public radio stations which may have a lefty bias. I am some times of being so encumbered myself so I will demur on that. One of the highlights (IMHO) of my local NPR station WNYC, is the BBC news show in the morning.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.