Thanks

Question How to delete pages in a PDF file?

I couldn't find anything in a forum search, and "google" shows too much. Basically, I have many owners manuals in the PDF format. Almost all of these have maybe 10% in English, and then the rest in other languages. I'd just like to trim these down to the pertinent pages. Is there a free editing solution? What do you all prefer?

Thanks;
    Artie
    Last edited by Artie; 2018-09-17 at 07:59. Reason: spelling

Thanks
    There is one trick you can try, if you have a PDF writer: Decide which pages you want, and then print the document to PDF, printing only those pages. The "Print to PDF" process will generate a new PDF document from the original, and it will include only those pages that you tell it to print.

There is one potential issue with this approach: Printing to PDF may produce a PDF "image" file rather than a PDF "editable text" file. If your PDF document is already in "image" format (non-editable), or if it doesn't matter to you which format it is in, then this won't be a problem.

Important: Be sure to pick a different name for the new file than the name of the current file. If you don't pick a different name, you will end up overwriting your original file.

I did a search on "separate the pages of a PDF file" and it returned several web sites which will separate the pages of a PDF file, or extract the pages that you want to keep. You'll probably find what you need at one of those web sites.
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2018-09-17 at 08:41.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,028 Times in 821 Posts
    I've used PDFtk Free for years to merge PDFs but it can also be used to delete pages... or rather to create new PDFs using just the pages you want to keep.

For example, consider the following:

pdf-eng-pages-to-keep.jpg

I have a manual (a) which is 120 pages long (b). The first 4 pages are diagrams and photos showing the controls. Page 5 (b) shows that the English text is from pages 6 to 13 (c). I therefore want to keep pages 1-4, omit page 5 (which just lists the different language versions) and keep pages 6-13, a new total of 12 pages.

In the PDFtk Free GUI I use the Add PDF... button (d) to load the manual then double-click on the loaded filename to edit the pages like so (e):

pdf-eng-pages-to-keep-new.jpg
    Click to enlarge

Next I click the Create PDF... button (f) and select a new filename. The creation process is fast! When it's complete I can click on the Reset Form... button (g) to create another new PDF or on the Close button.

pdf-eng-pages-to-keep-new-fin.jpg
    Click to enlarge

Hope this helps...

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

Artie (2018-10-20),Lugh (2018-09-28),Mark_Miller (2018-09-26),wavy (2018-09-17)

Thanks
    Thanks guys for the speedy responses.

Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    There is one trick you can try, if you have a PDF writer: Decide which pages you want, and then print the document to PDF, printing only those pages. The "Print to PDF" process will generate a new PDF document from the original, and it will include only those pages that you tell it to print.
    I seem to recall seeing this option my desktop computer, in my office. If I recall correctly, it was a "virtual printer", or somesuch. My laptop, which I'm on now, doesn't appear to have that option. But, it's no problem thanks to "below."

Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    I did a search on "separate the pages of a PDF file" and it returned several web sites which will separate the pages of a PDF file, or extract the pages that you want to keep. You'll probably find what you need at one of those web sites.
    Yup, I found https://smallpdf.com, which performs this task perfectly, except that sometimes I need to work offline. But still, as a portable solution, it's perfect. Thanks again for that idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Corbett View Post
    I've used PDFtk Free for years to merge PDFs but it can also be used to delete pages... or rather to create new PDFs using just the pages you want to keep.

Hope this helps...
    Outstanding. That was exactly what I was looking for. And thanks for the mini-tutorial. The user interface wasn't totally intuitive. I like it so much, I went ahead and bought the Pro version. Only $4. I've spent almost 10x that for a single beer.

Thanks again guys for the help. Now I've got some documents to trim.

Artie

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Artie View Post
    Outstanding. That was exactly what I was looking for. And thanks for the mini-tutorial. The user interface wasn't totally intuitive. I like it so much, I went ahead and bought the Pro version. Only $4.
    Thanks for letting us know how much you like PDFtk. This is very helpful for those looking for a similar product.

Thanks
    You're welcome. (Although I think the "thanks" should go to Rick.)

I've only done a couple PDF's on it, but as soon as I get a bunch of them done, I'll report back with a better review.

The PDF Labs folks somehow got an error while processing my license. So I can't actually play with the Pro version just yet. They said they hoped to straighten it out in 24 hours.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Artie For This Useful Post:

mrjimphelps (2018-09-17)

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,150 Times in 1,071 Posts
    Only $4. I've spent almost 10x that for a single beer.
    How!

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    The 2 ways I've done this, incl some editing of the content also, are:

1. PDF-XChange Editor, which is a very comprehensive and reliable PDF editor—been using it for maybe a decade.

2. Microsoft Word. Recent versions allow treating a PDF mostly the same as a DOCX.
    I'm fairly sure the other Office suites do this also, if you have one of those.

Tip:
    You might find it useful to combine all your manuals into 1 or 2 DOCXs or PDFs, using one of the above methods or Rick's nice-looking solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Artie
    a "virtual printer"
    For that, I've used doPDF occasionally, works fine.

Only $4. I've spent almost 10x that for a single beer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    How!
    She was very persuasive
    Last edited by Lugh; 2018-09-18 at 03:05.
    Lugh.
    ~
    Dell Alienware Aurora R6; Win10 Home x64 1803; Office 365 x32
    i7-7700; GeForce GTX 1060; 16GB DDR4 2400; 2 x 256G SSD, 4TB HD

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    How!
    I'm not sure if you're saying "hello" in Indian-ese, or wondering how I can spend so much for a beer. I'll assume the latter.
    I'd simply rather savor a really, really quality craft beer, than swill a cheap 12-pak.

And thanks Lugh, for that additional info. I'll also check out those two programs.

The good folks at PDF Labs straightened out my licensing issue and I'm now enjoying the full-blown version. This is great software. Here's an example of a PDF that I've "trimmed", if anyone wants to see an example. I took my guitar amp manual and selected only the pertinent pages. I kept the front & rear cover, the English pages, and dumped the safety pages that warned me not to use my amp in the shower or eat the desiccant. Took the file from 32 pages, at 1.67 MB, down to eight pages at 590kb. (In only a few simple "clicks".)

I almost forgot to tell how you do this. The interface isn't totally intuitive. After you load the PDF, give it a moment to calculate the size. Then I just clicked on the page numbers and entered: 1,7-11,27,32 and clicked "Create PDF." That's it.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Artie; 2018-09-27 at 07:58.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Artie For This Useful Post:

Lugh (2018-09-28)

Thanks
    Found another counter-intuitive glitch. (And the "help" file was no help.) I wanted to extract a single page and rotate it 90 deg's. It was page 6. When I entered "6" into the page range window, I kept getting an out-of-range error. I tried everything. To make a long story short, the "rotate pages" function refers to the output file. Not the input file. Since I was extracting only one page, I needed to put "1" into the page range window.

Hope this helps anyone else who uses this. I'm going to email PDF Labs and suggest that they clarify the help file.

Edit: It occurs to me that this might actually be intuitive to everyone else. Perhaps I should go back to cheap beer.
    Last edited by Artie; 2018-09-27 at 11:16.

Thanks
    (In only a few simple "clicks".)

I almost forgot to tell how you do this. The interface isn't totally intuitive. After you load the PDF, give it a moment to calculate the size. Then I just clicked on the page numbers and entered: 1,7-11,27,32 and clicked "Create PDF." That's it.
    That's pretty slick, thanks for the report & instructions
    Lugh.
    ~
    Dell Alienware Aurora R6; Win10 Home x64 1803; Office 365 x32
    i7-7700; GeForce GTX 1060; 16GB DDR4 2400; 2 x 256G SSD, 4TB HD

Lounger
    Thanks
    Another to look at is PDFsam. The "basic" version is no cost and does all I need. "sam" is split and merge; I extract pages or portions from large documents, and merge multiple pdf files into one. It has various splitting functions. see pdfsam.org for more information.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,028 Times in 821 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gbynum View Post
    Another to look at is PDFsam. The "basic" version is no cost and does all I need. "sam" is split and merge; I extract pages or portions from large documents, and merge multiple pdf files into one. It has various splitting functions. see pdfsam.org for more information.
    I had a very, very quick look at PDFsam and note that it needs a Java Runtime Environment (with JavaFX).

Whilst installation of a JRE was often de rigueur some time ago, I don't believe that is the case these days unless there's a specific case.

As a result, using PDFsam may now need to be considered against an ever-changing security landscape.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    As long as I remember, even the free Adobe Reader can do so. If you have any tool to edit pdf bought on your desktop, so there should be no problems about it. Otherwise, find some free one or with a free trial to remove the pages (or to split the document by them)
    Last edited by satrow; 2018-11-19 at 10:46. Reason: removed embedded URL