New Lounger
    Thanks

Picture Distortion

I am on a HP laptop streaming internet TV. Windows 10 on the laptop and the problem occurs no matter what browser I use. The picture is great but when the AC adaptor is plugged in the picture becomes magnified - ie a talking head becomes a taking mouth taking up the whole screen. Unplug the adaptor and the picture returns to normal. i have run AC adaptor and battery diagnostic checks on HP and nothing comes up. I am running a British laptop in Spain but this isue has only arisen over the last 7/10 days so I don't think that is the issue.

Thanks
    Welcome to WS Lounge, Donaghadonian.

1. When you check screen resolution before and after changing to/from AC, do the values change?

2. If you plug in AC before launching the stream, does the stream play normally or magnified?

3. Is there something which auto-happens when you plug in AC? Eg battery 'switches off', starts charging, something else like a change to your power settings?

It's strange, I've never heard of this before. Just fishing for possibles ☺
    Lugh.
    ~
    Dell Alienware Aurora R6; Win10 Home x64 1803; Office 365 x32
    i7-7700; GeForce GTX 1060; 16GB DDR4 2400; 2 x 256G SSD, 4TB HD

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lugh View Post
    Welcome to WS Lounge, Donaghadonian.

1. When you check screen resolution before and after changing to/from AC, do the values change?

Values do not change

2. If you plug in AC before launching the stream, does the stream play normally or magnified?

It plays normally

3. Is there something which auto-happens when you plug in AC? Eg battery 'switches off', starts charging, something else like a change to your power settings?

No nothing strange happens

It's strange, I've never heard of this before. Just fishing for possibles ☺
    Thanks for your suggestions Lugh see my responses above

Billy

Thanks
    Thanked 1,002 Times in 799 Posts
    It sounds like a power-saving issue.

Try this:
    1. Press a Windows key + r together to pop the Run dialog, type control then press Return (or Enter).
    2. When the Control Panel appears, click on Power Options.
    3. In the right-hand pane, click on Change plan settings for the power plan you are using.
    4. When the Edit Plan Settings window appears, click on Change advanced power settings.
    5. When Power Options' Advanced settings windows opens, scroll down the list for the Graphics Power Settings. On my HP ProBook 6475b it shows as ATI; yours may be the same or different... but it will be similar. By default the settings are different between battery and mains AC.

ati_graphics_power.png
    Click to enlarge

6. Using the dropdown control, change the Plugged in setting to the same as the On battery setting (as the On battery setting is working correctly for you).
    7. Click on the Apply button to save the change then the OK button to dismiss the window.

Hope this helps... let us know if it corrects the issue.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

Lugh (2018-10-19),Vincenzo (2018-10-19)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Corbett View Post
    It sounds like a power-saving issue.

Try this:
    1. Press a Windows key + r together to pop the Run dialog, type control then press Return (or Enter).
    2. When the Control Panel appears, click on Power Options.
    3. In the right-hand pane, click on Change plan settings for the power plan you are using.
    4. When the Edit Plan Settings window appears, click on Change advanced power settings.
    5. When Power Options' Advanced settings windows opens, scroll down the list for the Graphics Power Settings. On my HP ProBook 6475b it shows as ATI; yours may be the same or different... but it will be similar. By default the settings are different between battery and mains AC.

ati_graphics_power.png
    Click to enlarge

6. Using the dropdown control, change the Plugged in setting to the same as the On battery setting (as the On battery setting is working correctly for you).
    7. Click on the Apply button to save the change then the OK button to dismiss the window.

Hope this helps... let us know if it corrects the issue.
    Rick that was great - problem solved - thanks Billy

Thanks
    Thanked 1,002 Times in 799 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Donaghadonian View Post
    Rick that was great - problem solved
    Good to hear; thanks for posting back.