Thanks

Custom site icons

Most times if I go to a site and want to download the custom icon, I can, for instance, go to https://www.netflix.com/favicon.ico and come up with the Netflix icon, which I can then download and save.

But what of sites that don't respond to that process?

If for instance, I go to Google Keep ( https://keep.google.com/ ), it has a distinct icon. If I make a shortcut via IE however, it does not drop the custom icon into to temp cache location on my drive ( C:\Users\CWBillow\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\ INetCache\Content.IE5 ). The icon appears along with the shortcut though. So where is the icon being stored so that I can retrieve it?

Many if not most sites follow this procedure, but what of those that do not?
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Some just do not have this available to the visitors.

Now running Windows 10 64 Bit OS.
    I am so far behind, I think I am First

Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CWBillow View Post
    The icon appears along with the shortcut though. So where is the icon being stored so that I can retrieve it?
    If you see an icon perhaps you should right-click the icon and choose Properties, then look for "Change icon" to find out where it is stored.
    Clone or Image often! Backup, backup, backup, backup...
    - - - - -
    Home Built System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit, AMD Athlon II X3 435 CPU, 16GB DDR3 RAM, ASUSTeK M4A89GTD-PRO/USB3 (AM3) motherboard, 512GB SanDisk SSD, 3 TB WD HDD, 1024MB ATI AMD RADEON HD 6450 video, ASUS VE278 (1920x1080) display, ATAPI iHAS224 Optical Drive, integrated Realtek High Definition Audio

Thanks
    Sigh. OK, thanks.
    Chuck Billow
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

Thanks
    RockE, as often as not checking Properties/Change Icon will just take you to %SystemRoot%\System32\SHELL32.dll.
    Chuck Billow

Thanks
    Those are stock icons in Windows. I meant just the icons which are specific for certain web sites.
    Maybe I have misunderstood what you're trying to accomplish by dragging website icons onto your desktop.

Quote Originally Posted by CWBillow View Post
    The icon appears along with the shortcut though. So where is the icon being stored so that I can retrieve it?
    Maybe this web site can help with methods to download and save favicons. It explains how to search for the folder where the desired favicon may be (when it's not found in the root directory of the web site).
    Last edited by RockE; 2018-10-21 at 19:06.
    - - - - -
    Home Built System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit, AMD Athlon II X3 435 CPU, 16GB DDR3 RAM, ASUSTeK M4A89GTD-PRO/USB3 (AM3) motherboard, 512GB SanDisk SSD, 3 TB WD HDD, 1024MB ATI AMD RADEON HD 6450 video, ASUS VE278 (1920x1080) display, ATAPI iHAS224 Optical Drive, integrated Realtek High Definition Audio

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Go to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Favicon which should answer your questions.

As stated before some sites do not use "favicons".

Now running Windows 10 64 Bit OS.
    I am so far behind, I think I am First

Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

Thanks
    Back seven years or more I used to run a program called "AM-DeadLink" which could download favicons and allowed you to save them. A quick search shows that it is still available (now version 4.6) at several download sites. Hope that helps.
    - - - - -