Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    You may have a minor hardware issue that causes the machine to wait for that piece of hardware to respond. Can you run the Toshiba diagnostics on the machine?
    If you set the machine to hibernate instead of boot, does it take ages to wake?

cheers, Paul
    I haven't run the diagnostics. It is very difficult to get it away from her long enough to do much. She likes to turn it off at night so in the morning when she turns it on is when it goes through this boot process instead of the normal boot up. I don't know what it is set to do when the lid is closed maybe that is something I should check then she could leave it on instead of turning it off.

Thanks
    Is the dvd drive clicking during this delay? Did you try putting a disk in the drive?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,002 Times in 799 Posts
    I can't see that anyone has asked so... once the laptop boots, does the optical drive work as expected?

Just in case it's a poor internal connection, using this tutorial, slide the optical drive from its mainboard connector then push it back into the connector again and re-fasten.

It's literally 2 screws - one for the back panel and one retaining screw for the drive itself - so should take only a few minutes to re-seat the drive.

Alternatively, slide the optical drive from its mainboard connector, flip right-side up again, connect power and turn on. If there's suddenly no delay in booting then I would suspect the optical drive's controller.

Hope this helps...

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincenzo View Post
    Is the dvd drive clicking during this delay? Did you try putting a disk in the drive?
    Haven't noticed any extra noises and have not put a disk in the drive. The DVD drive has only been used 3-4 times during the 4 years of ownership. Will listen closely next chance for noises during this start up.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Corbett View Post
    I can't see that anyone has asked so... once the laptop boots, does the optical drive work as expected?

Just in case it's a poor internal connection, using this tutorial, slide the optical drive from its mainboard connector then push it back into the connector again and re-fasten.

It's literally 2 screws - one for the back panel and one retaining screw for the drive itself - so should take only a few minutes to re-seat the drive.

Alternatively, slide the optical drive from its mainboard connector, flip right-side up again, connect power and turn on. If there's suddenly no delay in booting then I would suspect the optical drive's controller.

Hope this helps...
    Yes. Everything works fine. It's just the improper prolonged start up procedure. I will check connection when I replace cmos battery.

Lounger
    Thanks
    You may have a minor hardware issue that causes the machine to wait for that piece of hardware to respond. Can you run the Toshiba diagnostics on the machine?

cheers, Paul
    Still haven't run the diagnostics yet. Forgot about it when I had the pc.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by handcuff36 View Post
    I will second the motion. I just went through the same problem on rebuilding an Acer with a new Motherboard that would be so erratic until the light went on as I noticed that the time from the RTC was all over any time zone. A new 2032 fixed this. ( 20 is the diameter in cm, 32 is the thickness in mm )
    Have fun. Jean.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    +1 on the possibility of a dead CMOS battery being the cause of the problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    kiaville,

I assume this is a laptop? If so check to see if the time is correct. If not it could signal that the battery for the CMOS chip (BIOS) is failing and thus not holding the settings for the hardware correctly. This is usually a CR2032 watch type battery and easily replaceable in most laptops.

HTH
    Well, I turned off pc, I removed pc cover, disconnected battery, removed cmos battery, held power button down 20-30 seconds, installed new cmos battery (old one is still good), plugged battery back in, put cover back on, reset time, checked boot order. Still have boot issue.

Lounger
    Thanks

cheers, Paul
    I ran the diagnostics. Everything is good.

Lounger
    Thanks
    What would happen if I turned off the pc, removed the DVD drive, turned the pc back on? Would it reset itself to the HDD? Then reinstall the DVD after that.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,146 Times in 1,067 Posts
    Nothing to lose by trying it.

cheers, Paul

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12