3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Screen saver - photos

A friend has been using the free Windows 7 screen saver to display photos. They want to eliminate a few photos, but the default screen saver with Windows 7 does not show the file name. The problem is that there are thousands of photos (nested subfolders) for them to sift through.

I hope someone knows of a free (or low cost) screen saver than uses photos from the local hard drive, and has the option to show the names / locations of the files.

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by rgrosz; 2018-11-03 at 09:07.
    Rick Groszkiewicz
    Life is too short to drink bad wine (or bad coffee!)

Thanks
    Rick, the handiest way might be via a good image viewer which can show 20-30 images per screen—depending what thumbnail size you choose—and which enables file actions [delete, move…] directly. That would be hugely quicker than noting down filenames from a SS display.

I highly recommend FastStone Image Viewer, where pressing the 'M' key in thumbnail view pops up a selection box to select a folder move destination. I assume your friends want to keep the pics elsewhere—otherwise just press the Delete key.

Endless Slideshow Screensaver looks like a decent SS. I don't know if it has the option to show the names / locations of the files, most do.

Just fyi, a somewhat similar thread in the Graphics/Multimedia forum:
    Photo folder Slideshow on Desktop
    Lugh.
    ~
    Dell Alienware Aurora R6; Win10 Home x64 1803; Office 365 x32
    i7-7700; GeForce GTX 1060; 16GB DDR4 2400; 2 x 256G SSD, 4TB HD

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Lugh For This Useful Post:

rgrosz (2018-11-03)

Thanks
    This link might be useful to you:

Choosing your own photos for Windows 7ís screensaver

https://www.andyrathbone.com/2009/12...s-screensaver/

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I wonder at trying to use a screen saver in order to detect and remove duplicates. That seems like an ineffective strategy to me.

What I've done when faced with this job is to use the built-in Windows Explorer. Set the file browser to either Large Icons or Extra Large Icons (my personal fav). You then get the file name an image preview, with image reduction so you can see many images on screen simultaneously. This also employs the best image interpreters that exist (i.e. you).

It's not perfect though. Although subfolder navigation isn't a problem per se, if the duplicates are spread across multiple folders it can become one. I can relate that large numbers of images also becomes challenging to process; you have to remember the dups and as that mental list becomes large, keeping track of a constantly changing large list isn't easy.

There are sites that perform image recognition that could help (I think Google has one). I've never used these but in principle, they should work.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BHarder View Post
    Although subfolder navigation isn't a problem per se, if the duplicates are spread across multiple folders it can become one. I can relate that large numbers of images also becomes challenging to process; you have to remember the dups and as that mental list becomes large, keeping track of a constantly changing large list isn't easy.
    A way around that problem is to use a file manager which allows a 'flat' view of a folder and all its sub-folders—ie just one list of all the files within all the folders. Directory Opus has that, I imagine some other file managers do too.

use the built-in Windows Explorer. Set the file browser to either Large Icons or Extra Large Icons (my personal fav). You then get the file name an image preview, with image reduction so you can see many images on screen simultaneously
    I think a dedicated image viewer would be more efficient for that, as in my post #2.
    Lugh.
    ~
    Dell Alienware Aurora R6; Win10 Home x64 1803; Office 365 x32
    i7-7700; GeForce GTX 1060; 16GB DDR4 2400; 2 x 256G SSD, 4TB HD

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BHarder View Post
    I wonder at trying to use a screen saver in order to detect and remove duplicates. That seems like an ineffective strategy to me.
    As noted in the first message, the primary purpose of the screen saver is to see their large photo collection (when the computer is not actually being used for anything). It just happens to be missing a feature.

It would be VERY convenient to have the ability to quickly identify (and later delete) any photos they no longer want to see.
    Rick Groszkiewicz

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lugh View Post
    Endless Slideshow Screensaver looks like a decent SS. I don't know if it has the option to show the names / locations of the files, most do.
    We will try out the Endless Slideshow Screensaver, it looks promising.
    Rick Groszkiewicz

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    ...file manager which allows a 'flat' view of a folder...
    Cool! I don't know if anyone remembers, but the old File Manager in Windows 3.x had that. I believe they called it the All Files view. The limitation on that was that it was all or nothing; you couldn't scope the view to a specific folder subtree.

It's one of the few things I miss about Windows 3.x! Good to know that some file managers retain this functionality.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I use and recommend a free program called John's Background Switcher, which will do everything you want. It will run on Windows 7 and later, except for the W7 Starter Edition, and uses .NET 4.5 which the installer will download if necessary. If you have multiple monitors, it will display different pictures on each monitor. Have a look at (and download from) https://johnsad.ventures/software/backgroundswitcher/windows/

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bundaburra View Post
    I use and recommend a free program called John's Background Switcher, which will do everything you want.
    I have used this on my multiple monitor system for years, and it works great. Now I also use the Endless Slideshow Screensaver.
    Rick Groszkiewicz