Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Extract data to seperate sheet where reference matches

I have source data (codes.xlsx) and destination data (Inventory (amended).xlsx)

I need a VBA code to extract the codes for each reference in Col b onwards , that matches the reference in Col A in the source data but not to extract the codes LK-65915 & LK-65910. I would like these extracted on a separate sheet called "Final Result"

Your assistance in assisting me is most appreciated
    Attached Files Attached Files

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Hi Howard

It is easy to recreate what you want with vba, but it would be better if you could post another additional example, just so I understand the columns you are using i.e. will it always be column [G] in the codes.xlsx file????

zeddy

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Zeddy

The codes will always be in Col G

Howard

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Hi Howard

In your posted example Inventory file, you have duplicate values in col [A] for your Ref values.
    In your posted example Codes file for your extract Codes, you also have duplicate values in the 'lookup' col [A] and the 'return Code' can be different for the same Reference.

So do you want us to return the 'first-matching-Code' for the 'first-matching-Reference", then the 'second-matching-Code' for the 'second-matching-Reference', the 'third-matching-code' ... etc etc etc????
    If this is the case, what do you want us to do if there are, say, 4-identical-References in the Inventory file but only '2-matching-References' in the Codes file???

..or, if life is really simple, are the Codes file entries in column [A] always perfectly aligned and matching with the Ref entries in col [A] of the Inventory file????

(I have a file ready to post back, but no point if it doesn't do exactly what you want)

zeddy

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Zeddy

It is more complicated than what I originally anticipated

I want to return the 'first-matching-Code' for the 'first-matching-Reference", then the 'second-matching-Code' for the 'second-matching-Reference', the 'third-matching-code' ... etc etc et

However, if for eg there are 4-identical-References in the Inventory file but only '2-matching-References' in the Codes file, then match up the number of references in the codes file. There should be the same number of references in both files, where the references match. The files uploaded were just sample files

Howard

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Hi Howard

OK, that makes it easier to follow.
    I'll update my file and post it after testing.

zeddy

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Hi Howard

There should be the same number of references in both files, where the references match.
    OK, so here's my file that should do what you ask.

We could amend the code to put a "??" or a "-" if there were say, 5 similar-Ref-items in the Inventory file and only say, 2, corresponding items in the Codes file i.e. for the last 3 of the similar-Ref-items we would put a "??" in the returned code to show that they weren't found in the external file. But if it's not needed the attached file should do.

zeddy

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Hi Howard

Just a note - the method I used in my posted file would work regardless of any order of the values in the external Codes file.

And, of course, if there were no matching item for a particular column A Ref value in the Inventory file, it will return #N/A to indicated this.

zeddy
    Last edited by zeddy; 2018-11-09 at 05:33.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Zeddy

Thanks for all the effort. Your code works perfectly. Will be testing the live data next week and will advise if I need any further help where I pick up any problems that I cannot resolve myself

Howard

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Hi Howard

I shall be in St Lucia briefly next week, and then enjoying a break in Barbados for just three weeks.
    Back in the UK early December.

Good luck with the live data test.

zeddy

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Zeddy

Enjoy your break. A 3 week break will be great way to unwind in Barbados. Never been there , but believe it is very nice

Howard

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Zeddy

I have similar spreadsheets to post #1 , which I have attached but am battling to amend the code to copy and paste the final result

The spec is the same as in my earlier post except that the source data reference is called "Posting Reference (1)" is in Col N and on sheet2

It would be appreciated if you could amend

I have source workbook (Raw Data import) where I need match Reference in Col A (sheet1) to Posting Reference (1) on sheet2 in the destination file

I want to return the 'first-matching-Code' for the 'first-matching-Reference", then the 'second-matching-Code' for the 'second-matching-Reference', the 'third-matching-code' ... etc etc et

However, if for eg there are 4-identical-References in the Inventory file but only '2-matching-References' in the Codes file, then match up the number of references in the codes file

Where there is a match then the reference number and account number (Col G ) to be extracted in sheet Final result

Kindly amend your code regarding the above

Howard

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Hi Howard

It didn't need much of a code change.
    see attached file; (in the VBA, search for "v1b")
    I just changed the code from..
    Code:
    Worksheets("Final Result").Select           'switch to ouput sheet
    Cells.Clear                                 'clear everything on sheet
    Sheets(1).[A:A].Copy [a1]
    to..
    Code:
    Worksheets("Final Result").Select           'switch to ouput sheet
    Cells.Clear                                 'clear everything on sheet
    Sheets("Imported Data").[N:N].Copy [a1]     '<<v1b; copy column [N] from second sheet
    See if the attached file does what you need.

..back to last-minute packing for the trip tomorrow

zeddy
    "a day without sunshine is like night"

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks very much for the help Zeddy

The code works perfectly. I need one slight change. Where the References match to the source data, I also need the "Goods Value" in column Q to be extracted to sheet "final Result"

You can do this whenever you get a chance

Hope you have a well deserved rest

Howard

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HowardC View Post
    You can do this whenever you get a chance
    Very thoughtful