Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry Gentlemen, CONFUSED DOT COM again here. I DO have the opportunity to uninstall the "Unknown Devices" in the Battery section of Device Manager. Do I uninstall both of them or just one of them before I reboot ? Sorry I was very stupid, I got confused with the fact that I didn't have the option to uninstall the network icons on the task bar notification area.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dg1261 View Post
    I guess, ultimately, it depends on how much effort you want to spend on this. The laptop otherwise seems to be working properly now, and this battery driver issue may be just an annoyance rather than affecting its operation. You could spend another week or two trying to resolve it, but it's an old laptop and it could die altogether in a month or two, so you'll have to decide how much continued effort is worth it to you.

If you do want to keep going, though, here are some suggestions you might try:

• attempt to delete the Dev Mgr entries after booting into Safe Mode (which probably wouldn't work)
    • see if you can disable drivers with something like SysInternals' Autoruns utility
    • see if XP's "Update Driver" wizard can go online and find something
    • reinstall the R110079 "Mobile Chipset driver" (since it feels to me like it ought to be in that)
    • install the R120775 "Notebook System Software" (which I don't think has anything to do with battery, but who knows...)
    • or wipe the whole thing and start over with a full clean install (now that you know how to install the drivers)

But I'm just grasping for straws at this point. Any of those will involve more time, and will be more, or less, daunting depending on your skill level, so it's up to you.
    Thank you dg1261 and my sincere apologies re : being able to uninstall the two battery issues in Device Manager. But you make good points above. The laptop is probably as good as it's going to get now. It is an old machine, I realise that, and I am probably going to use it very seldomly but it was just riling me having it sat there, in it's case, doing nothing. And with the help from you and Rick and others I have been able to achieve far more than I ever thought possible.

It would be nice to get rid of the battery issue(s) as seen in Device Manager. It is actually quite annoying having to delete those messages on the desktop at startup. Some of them appear 3 times and they all have to be got rid of. and so I will call it a day if and when I can get rid of them. I will try your suggestions as shown above once I have heard from you about whether I should uninstall one or both of them in Device Manager as per my post #91. I'm not quite sure what caused me to get confused yesterday regarding that and the Network icon issue. But I should probably come clean now and tell you that I am a 72 year old farmer and while, as I said earlier, I did get involved with DOS over 30 years ago things have moved on whereas I find that at my age I have difficulty taking new technology on board and even remembering what I have done !

A case in point is thinking about what I asked yesterday about deleting the battery driver(s) at the DOS prompt. Of course that is only the package as downloaded that the system installs when the .exe file is activated. I realised that when I was trying to get to sleep last night !!!

ps. If you ever need your cows milked, sheep shorn, hedges laid, fields ploughed, hay made or combine harvester set up then I'm your man.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,001 Times in 798 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scooby7346
    I DO have the opportunity to uninstall the "Unknown Devices" in the Battery section of Device Manager. Do I uninstall both of them or just one of them before I reboot ?
    Uninstall both of the battery entries at the same time from Device Manager then reboot.

That should just leave the network icons in the notification area to sort out. You should be able to disconnect the 1394 device from within Network Connections window. The 1394 adapter is also known as Firewire, i.e. a high-speed serial connection. If you don't use the connection with, for example, a camcorder or similar then just remove the tick from the Show icon in notification area when connected checkbox (see your second pic in post #82).

Hope this helps...

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567