Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112
    WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    R130907.exe is the "Dell QuickSet" utility. It's not a driver, it's a program, and so technically it's optional. It has nothing to do with the yellow triangles because it's not a driver.

One of its uses is to facilitate controlling the wifi adapter (once you get the driver installed), so you may find it worthwhile. I wouldn't install it, though, until after you've got the wifi driver sorted out.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to dg1261 For This Useful Post:

scooby7346 (2018-12-19)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks again dg1261. I'll look into those other posts that you recalled in post #164 later today because clearly I have work to do to get the wi-fi up and running. I obviously know the password for the router etc and in any case as I've mentioned before the laptop already has permission to access it so it has to be a laptop issue why I can't connect. I will obviously take your advice regarding the file R130907.exe by not installing it until I have a connection.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I got lucky ! Our Son, who's business provides IT consultancy and contract services to a major sector of the U.K. economy, popped up to see us yesterday and I offered him a deal. He had a look at my laptop and I take him out to the pub later. He spent about an hour on the laptop and discovered that, for some reason, the laptop couldn't find the wi-fi driver, even though I had installed it. Anyway, long story short, he has fixed it for me. I can access my router and surf the Internet if I want to. It cost me beer AND whisky in the pub and I couldn't drink because I was driving ! But a good result all round and so special thanks to all of you kind people on this site who helped me along the way. It would not have happened if I hadn't got XP up and running and the drivers at least loaded up. I have been able to re-install Norton and so yours truly is a happy bunny.

A very Happy Christmas to you all and I hope that 2019 turns out to be a good year for all of you. Kind regards - David.

Thanks
    Great scooby, I'm glad you got it sorted. A merry Christmas and a happy new year to you as well!
    Cartophilia rocks

6. The Following User Says Thank You to access-mdb For This Useful Post:

scooby7346 (2018-12-20)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by access-mdb View Post
    Great scooby, I'm glad you got it sorted. A merry Christmas and a happy new year to you as well!
    Thank you very much access-mdb. I mentioned your Linux suggestion to my Son and he told me that it would have been a good idea to have gone down that route. Sorry now I didn't take your advice.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dg1261 View Post
    R130907.exe is the "Dell QuickSet" utility. It's not a driver, it's a program, and so technically it's optional. It has nothing to do with the yellow triangles because it's not a driver.

One of its uses is to facilitate controlling the wifi adapter (once you get the driver installed), so you may find it worthwhile. I wouldn't install it, though, until after you've got the wifi driver sorted out.
    Hello again DG, hope you had a good Christmas. The laptop is now up and running (I am quite surprised how slow XP is compared to today's machines) But I wonder if I should install R130907.exe ? I am a firm believer in the dictum that "if it aint broke then don't fix it" but I have noticed two issues which I can get round but wondered if it might fix them. One is that I can't play MPEG4 videos but maybe they were not around when XP was. It isn't a problem because I have a utility that will convert videos and it does play them if they are MPEG2 or WMV files.

The other thing is that if I play a video with sound, say one I have made or even a YouTube video, the audio doesn't keep up with the video very well. If I let the video run for a few minutes and go back to the beginning then it seems to work O.K. almost as if the processor can't handle the video and audio at the same time initially.

EDIT. I should add that the laptop is doing everything that I want it to do really so don't want to mess things up.
    Last edited by scooby7346; 2019-01-02 at 11:55.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112