Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,001 Times in 798 Posts
    @scooby7346... you're in the UK and I provided the link for the Dell UK website support for the Inspiron 6000. That means that you should be able to input your laptop's Dell Service Tag (on the underside of your laptop) to whittle down the hardware downloads to the exact devices in your laptop.

dell-service-tag.png
    Click to enlarge

Hope this helps...

Thanks
    Is the anti-virus warning a standard Windows warning message if it doesn't find any AV software ?
    Yes.
    Lugh.
    ~
    Dell Alienware Aurora R6; Win10 Home x64 1803; Office 365 x32
    i7-7700; GeForce GTX 1060; 16GB DDR4 2400; 2 x 256G SSD, 4TB HD

Thanks
    Thanked 1,001 Times in 798 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scooby7346
    These are the 3 messages that appear twice each. i.e. I close them when I see them and they pop up again. The more I think about things the more I think that the new battery is causing problems. But surely the lack of audio is because of the lack of a driver(s) ? Is the anti-virus warning a standard Windows warning message if it doesn't find any AV software ? I also seem to remember that I have tried to attach the laptop to my router but couldn't do that either for some reason. I probably need to add here that it is a few months since I last tried to get the laptop running properly but when I registered on here I thought that I would have another attempt.
    The messages are flagging up the issues within Device Manager which I'm hopeful are all resolvable... with the possible exception of the battery message. If it's a non-genuine Dell battery then that could possibly be an unresolvable issue if the battery doesn't have the circuitry to satisfy the mainboard checks. (Think 'HP printers checking for non-HP print cartridges'. )

Once the various 'network adapter' (and probably 'Intel chipset') hardware issues are resolved then you should be able to re-attach the laptop to your home network, i.e. router via ethernet (cable) or Wi-Fi.

Hope this helps...

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Corbett View Post
    1. Using the audio driver (Sigmatel STAC 975X AC97 Audio Driver) as an example from the Dell URL I provided in post#4, you should have downloaded a file called R99254.EXE.
    2. Copy this file to a USB stick and transfer it to a temporary location on your Inspiron 6000 laptop, C:\Temp for example (you may have to create the C:\Temp folder within the OS' file system).
    3. Once copied to a temporary location within the Inspiron 6000's filesystem, double-click on the C:\Temp\R99254.EXE file.
    4. It should unpack itself and copy/install itself to its correct location and Device Manager should indicate the change to the Multimedia Audio Controller entry. i.e. that the audio driver has been installed.

Post back at this point to tell us if audio is now working. (You will probably have to restart... 'cos XP was just like that. Sorry... having trouble remembering back that far.)

Hope this helps...
    Thanks for that. Yes, I should have given the name of the file but it is indeed R99254.exe that I downloaded. And thanks for the instructions. I'll get on to it later and report back.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    @scooby7346... you're in the UK and I provided the link for the Dell UK website support for the Inspiron 6000. That means that you should be able to input your laptop's Dell Service Tag (on the underside of your laptop) to whittle down the hardware downloads to the exact devices in your laptop.

dell-service-tag.png
    Click to enlarge

Hope this helps...
    Thank you. Yes, I have the SERVICE TAG and the EXPRESS SERVICE CODE label as well as the PRODUCT KEY label. Both of which are clearly visible.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lugh View Post
    Yes.
    Thanks for that.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The messages are flagging up the issues within Device Manager which I'm hopeful are all resolvable... with the possible exception of the battery message. If it's a non-genuine Dell battery then that could possibly be an unresolvable issue if the battery doesn't have the circuitry to satisfy the mainboard checks. (Think 'HP printers checking for non-HP print cartridges'. )

Once the various 'network adapter' (and probably 'Intel chipset') hardware issues are resolved then you should be able to re-attach the laptop to your home network, i.e. router via ethernet (cable) or Wi-Fi.

Hope this helps...
    Thank you. I am going to concentrate on getting the audio to work first and then see what can be done about the other issues. Watch this space.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    re: duplicate boot items at startup...

That's controlled by the boot.ini file, a simple text file that can be edited to remove the duplicate entry and eliminate the 30-sec delay. Open a command prompt window and enter the command: notepad c:\boot.ini

You should see something similar to:
    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW S
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Professional" ...
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Professional" ...

Cut-and-paste the text here so we can confirm, and we'll be able to tell you how to edit it to remove the duplicate entry.

The duplicate entry suggests you may not have done a full clean install. A full clean install involves reformatting the C: partition before reinstalling. If you didn't reformat, the Setup routine will see an existing boot.ini file from the old installation, and add a second entry for the "new" Windows being installed.

In contrast, if you reformatted there wouldn't be an old boot.ini to get added to. Not that it matters, since you can simply edit the boot.ini file instead of starting over.

re: battery error...

That appears to be due to a missing driver. You're getting the error message because you're cancelling the driver installation wizard. It might be resolved when you install the chipset driver.

re: audio, router connection...

You won't have any sound nor an ethernet (wired) connection to your router until you install the drivers.

Similarly, you should get a higher resolution display once you get the video driver installed. I'm not sure why you have two yellow triangles for video controller ... you'll have to take another look at Device Manager later to see if driver installation resolves both.

re: driver installation...

Download the drivers R114079.EXE (chipset), R99254.EXE (audio), R128346.EXE (video), R85255.EXE (ethernet), R104087.EXE (modem), R89598_5K9CG_SETUP_ZPE.exe (touchpad). A CD or USB flash drive should work fine for getting them onto the laptop.

Rick suggests copying them to c:\temp, but I prefer to just put them temporarily on the desktop. Double-click each one in turn, and it will extract the drivers by default to the c:\dell\drivers folder. As each driver is extracted, it will automatically start the driver setup routine. Follow the prompts to finish installing each driver. Some may require you to restart Windows to finish the driver installation. When you've finished installing the drivers, delete the Rxxx.EXE files from your desktop--they're no longer needed once the files have been extracted to c:\dell\drivers.

Once you get those installed, the laptop should be functional except for wifi. Go back to Device Manager and see if most of the yellow triangles have been cleared up. Follow Rick's instructions in post #14 to see if we can identify which wifi adapter you have (and consequently which driver you'll need).
    Last edited by dg1261; 2018-11-09 at 04:23.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dg1261 View Post
    re: duplicate boot items at startup... ETC.
    Wow. That was very comprehensive and I am very grateful for your time taken to help dg1261. I have often wondered if I should re-format and start completely from scratch again but I'll see how I get on with the audio driver and report back.

I can see that if I input my SERVICE TAG when on the Dell site as well as the model details then it should be idiot proof ! At least I hope so. Thanks again folks.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, I just don't know what to say other than thank you all so much for helping me. I have now got the audio back on my laptop. I have got the Boot.ini file up and about to take an image but it is wider than a screen and I can't pull the corners in so it's another Photoshop merge job. Watch this space and thanks again.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    A bit more info.

1. The device Manager now looks like this : Device Manager(2).jpg Notice that, compared to the image that I posted in post #6, that we have now lost the Multimedia Audio Controller in the yellow Other Devices section. Just as you would expect now that I have got the audio working.

2. When I go to the Command Prompt I get this : Command Prompt.JPG The Boss Man is a directory that I made. I would have thought that when I click to go to Command Prompt I should be taken to C:\>

3. I did a DIR of The Boss Man and got this : Dir of Boss Man.JPG

4. I went back to the C:\> (using the old DOS command CD\ ) and got this : DIR of C drive.JPG Why is Autoexec.bat and Config.sys empty ?

Can I ask if it is the considered opinion of people who have helped me on here that I should nuke everything and start all over again or continue with what is a laptop that is working 95%-ish and improve it as much as I can ? I should say that I prefer the latter but just a bit concerned that the autoexec.bat and config.sys files are not where they should be ?

Thanks again everybody.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    re: duplicate boot items at startup...

That's controlled by the boot.ini file, a simple text file that can be edited to remove the duplicate entry and eliminate the 30-sec delay. Open a command prompt window and enter the command: notepad c:\boot.ini

You should see something similar to:
    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW S
    [operating systems]

Cut-and-paste the text here so we can confirm, and we'll be able to tell you how to edit it to remove the duplicate entry.
    Thanks DG1261

This is my Boot.ini : BootDOTini.jpg I'll spend time on the remainder of your post later.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Download the drivers R114079.EXE (chipset), R99254.EXE (audio), R128346.EXE (video), R85255.EXE (ethernet), R104087.EXE (modem), R89598_5K9CG_SETUP_ZPE.exe (touchpad). A CD or USB flash drive should work fine for getting them onto the laptop.

Rick suggests copying them to c:\temp, but I prefer to just put them temporarily on the desktop. Double-click each one in turn, and it will extract the drivers by default to the c:\dell\drivers folder. As each driver is extracted, it will automatically start the driver setup routine. Follow the prompts to finish installing each driver. Some may require you to restart Windows to finish the driver installation. When you've finished installing the drivers, delete the Rxxx.EXE files from your desktop--they're no longer needed once the files have been extracted to c:\dell\drivers.

Once you get those installed, the laptop should be functional except for wifi. Go back to Device Manager and see if most of the yellow triangles have been cleared up. Follow Rick's instructions in post #14 to see if we can identify which wifi adapter you have (and consequently which driver you'll need).
    Could you answer me a question please dg1261 ? If I download all those drivers from the Dell web site and go through the installation procedure like I did for the audio driver what happens if the driver that I am installing is already present ? I don't want to mess anything up. If I just get a warning that a particular driver is already present I presume I either overwrite it or cancel the task ?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Hmm... that boot.ini screenshot in post #42 is interesting. It shows Windows installations on two different partitions... I wonder if that second one is a factory restore partition? DSR ("Dell System Restore") used to be a particular specialty of mine, so I'm surprised with myself that I didn't consider that possibility earlier.

Drop everything and post a screenshot of Disk Management. If it is a restore partition, we may be able to restore from that and preempt all the other issues.

To get a screenshot, click the Start button, then right-click "My Computer", and select (left-click) "Manage" from the pop-up context menu. In the "Computer Management" window, click "Disk Management" in the left pane, and expand the window enough for me to see "Capacity" and "Free Space" in the right pane.

I need to see the right pane including the "Disk 0" graphic. That should give me a clue whether or not you still have a factory restore partition.

Image1.png

Image2.png
    Last edited by dg1261; 2018-11-09 at 14:51.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hmm... that boot.ini screenshot in post #42 is interesting. It shows Windows installations on two different partitions... I wonder if that second one is a factory restore partition? DSR ("Dell System Restore") used to be a particular specialty of mine, so I'm surprised with myself that I didn't consider that possibility earlier.

Drop everything and post a screenshot of Disk Management. If it is a restore partition, we may be able to restore from that and preempt all the other issues.

To get a screenshot, click the Start button, then right-click "My Computer", and select (left-click) "Manage" from the pop-up context menu. In the "Computer Management" window, click "Disk Management" in the left pane, and expand the window enough for me to see "Capacity" and "Free Space" in the right pane.

I need to see the right pane including the "Disk 0" graphic. That should give me a clue whether or not you still have a factory restore partition.
    Thak you again dg1261, both for your observations and the clarity of instructions. I do know that the laptop did have a restore partition at one stage but I thought that I had inadvertently wiped it but I'm way out of my depth now. Hope you can see all that you want to see in this :
    Disk Management.jpg

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast