New Lounger
    Thanks

Angry Scammed from my own email address!!!

The scammers are becoming more devious as time goes on. I am receiving scam emails claiming "Your site has been hacked and I have changed your password. You cant change your password because I will intercept" (or something along those lines). My problem is I cannot hit the "junk" button and get rid of it because I am making my own email address "junk". Anyone have a suggestion?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I would just delete it. You may never get another.

Thanks
    Same as Martin said, ignore it.

Last decade we used to get spam from our own addresses 3-4 times a year—our addresses were 'out there' since we ran an online biz. Used to last a few days and then the bad guys would move on to using other addresses.

More info:

Email spoofing

Dealing with Spam
    Lugh.
    ~
    Dell Alienware Aurora R6; Win10 Home x64 1803; Office 365 x32
    i7-7700; GeForce GTX 1060; 16GB DDR4 2400; 2 x 256G SSD, 4TB HD

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,156 Times in 1,077 Posts
    Are you sure the email is from your own email or is it just the "return address" that is your's? Check the email headers / read the raw email - depending on mail client.
    A decent spam filter will largely ignore the return address.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    No matter the source, when I see "emails from myself," like the earlier poster, I simply delete them.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/
    Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)
    Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Franklin46 View Post
    The scammers are becoming more devious as time goes on. I am receiving scam emails claiming "Your site has been hacked and I have changed your password. You cant change your password because I will intercept" (or something along those lines). My problem is I cannot hit the "junk" button and get rid of it because I am making my own email address "junk". Anyone have a suggestion?
    Sigh. I just got one of those today. My spam filter knew enough to block it. The message is a bit scary.

Rob

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You can't just set up a filter, because there could be occasions when an email from yourself is legitimate. For example, if sending the same email to a number of recipients, such as members of a Club, it is common practice to put your own email in the "To" field (possibly with a different name, such as the name of the Club), and the other addresses in the "Bcc" field. In that case you would want to receive the message, to be sure that it worked.

Best bet, as suggested, is to simply delete any message apparently from yourself that you do not recognise. Be sure to do so without actually opening the message, and certainly without opening any attachment or link. To be doubly sure, also delete it immediately from the "deleted items" folder.
    Last edited by Bundaburra; 2019-01-07 at 18:13.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bundaburra View Post
    You can't just set up a filter, because there could be occasions when an email from yourself is legitimate. For example, if sending the same email to a number of recipients, such as members of a Club, it is common practice to put your own email in the "To" field (possibly with a different name, such as the name of the Club), and the other addresses in the "Bcc" field. In that case you would want to receive the message, to be sure that it worked.

Best bet, as suggested, is to simply delete any message apparently from yourself that you do not recognise. Be sure to do so without actually opening the message, and certainly without opening any attachment or link. To be doubly sure, also delete it immediately from the "deleted items" folder.
    I didn't actually set up a filter; my mail forwarding service (pobox.com) caught it as spam and alerted me. You log onto their site to view suspected spam messages and they can be released or discarded. Once nice feature is that you can view most of the message on their site without actually opening it if you're not sure that it's spam or not.

Since I didn't request that it be released, pobox deleted it for me. It never hit the inbox on my ISPs e-mail server.

Rob

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have something similar, using Mailwasher. It displays the messages waiting on the server, prior to download, and anything unwanted can be deleted before it reaches your email program.