2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cannot print MS Publisher 2016 cards on Epson WF-7110 printer.

Hi to all,
    I am having a problem trying to print 5.5" x 8.5" cards created in MS Publisher 2016 on my Epson WF-7110 printer.
    I am not sure if this is a Publisher problem or a printer problem but something is set wrong somewhere and I cannot figure it out.
    I have set up the card in Publisher as 5.5" x 8.5" but the minute I try to open it up in my Epson WF-7110 printer all I am offered is Letter @ 8.5" x 11" or A4 @ 8.268 x 11.693" and the image ruler also indicates Letter or A4 size. There are no other options under Paper Size. When I cancel out printing and go back into Publisher the image reverts back to the original set up size of 5.5" x 8.5".
    If I go into Publisher and choose "Page Design > Size > Create New Page Size" and choose the "One Page Per Sheet" option it will not allow me to change it from 8.5" x 11" to my Card stock size of 5.5" x 8.5".
    Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong and what changes I need to make?
    Respectfully, GG

Thanks
    Thanked 1,025 Times in 818 Posts
    So we're all clear... what edition, version and build are you using?

For example, if you're using Windows 10:
    1. Press Windows key +r together to pop the Run dialog.
    2. Type winver then press Return (or Enter).
    3. Provide the info at a and b:
    winver1.png
    Click to enlarge

Hope this helps...

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Rick
    Thank you for the reply.
    A: Windows 10 Home
    B: Ver. 1803 (OS Build 17134.345)
    Respectfully, GG

Thanks
    Best I can find out elsewhere, that printer seems to be 4-5 years old. I assume you have a Win10 driver for it?

Is this the first time you've used either the printer or Pub16, or both together?
    Have you used both together before successfully?

Do BOTH Pub and printer agree on what paper size is set, which tray it's in, etc?
    Maybe the card stock is in the printer wrong, ie long side in when it should be short or vice versa.
    the minute I try to open it up in my Epson WF-7110 printer
    What does this mean? Is there a page setup utility from Epson? If so, that might be the problem, a conflict between Pub & Epson page & print settings. Try disabling one and leaving the other fully in charge—too many cooks, and all that

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Lugh,
    Thank you for the response.
    I bought the printer to print out Greeting cards that my wife sells at Craft shows. In the past I have used it to print MS Publisher cards but in a 7" x 10" format never in the smaller 8.5" x 5.5" she is using this year. I haven't used the printer in about a year. I ran a printer check with Letter size paper and it printed OK but when I tried to print using card sized stock I could not get the printer to recognize anything but Letter or A4 size.
    NO, the Epson will not show me the correct size and I can't find a way to change the settings so they match what is coming from Publisher. In the Publisher program the card is set up in the correct 8.5" x 5.5" format but when I choose Print, Epson WF-7110 it will not let me set in the correct paper size and also changes the dimension in the view window to 8.5" x 11" my only option for paper size.
    In the Epson there is a Paper Set-up button on the front of the printer. It only lets me set up one dimension of the stock. I have set in 8.5" Landscape, Prem. Matte but that never shows up on the printing options so there us obviously something I am doing wrong, I just don't know what. I have the paper in the cassette feeding in using the 5.5" width, the same way I use to print the larger cards or even Letter sized paper.
    I am not sure how I would disable one, it appears to be a combination process. Set up card size with desired information in Publisher, send to Epson printer. Some guidance would be required as to what you would like me to do.
    Thanks again for your help, it is appreciated. Respectfully, GG

Thanks
    It may not be helpful except as information, but I use 8.5" by 11" stock and print two 8.5" by 5.5" on one sheet (then I cleave the sheet to form two greeting cards). The software I use to create the double card image and print it is CorelDraw X3 (that's version thirteen).
    CorelDraw is a bit too expensive nowadays if I had to buy it again. I'll fiddle around on the 'net today and see if I can come up with an alternative for you.
    Clone or Image often! Backup, backup, backup, backup...
    - - - - -
    Home Built System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit, AMD Athlon II X3 435 CPU, 16GB DDR3 RAM, ASUSTeK M4A89GTD-PRO/USB3 (AM3) motherboard, 512GB SanDisk SSD, 3 TB WD HDD, 1024MB ATI AMD RADEON HD 6450 video, ASUS VE278 (1920x1080) display, ATAPI iHAS224 Optical Drive, integrated Realtek High Definition Audio

7. The Following User Says Thank You to RockE For This Useful Post:

Graphics Guy (2018-11-11)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi RockE,
    Thank you for the reply.
    I follow what you are saying and I agree that would probably work but the wife picked the cards up (by mistake - they were on sale) in Michael's or some other Craft store so I am stuck with the 5.5" x 8.5" size. I even had to scale down the previous card info so it would fit on this small size.
    I have used MS Publisher for years and like the program as it has always worked before, but now I am seriously considering setting everything up again in my Photoshop CS6.
    Respectfully, GG

Thanks
    Hi GG, I don't have any specific or detailed suggestions for you, it's been ~20 years since I used Publisher, and I only use basic laser printers.

One thing to try: Do a quick mock-up in Word, and see if that will behave as you want. That would be a pointer as to whether or not Pub is the problem.

Another thing to try is to uninstall the Epson driver, and download and install the latest from the Epson site.
    Lugh.
    ~
    Dell Alienware Aurora R6; Win10 Home x64 1803; Office 365 x32
    i7-7700; GeForce GTX 1060; 16GB DDR4 2400; 2 x 256G SSD, 4TB HD

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Lugh For This Useful Post:

Graphics Guy (2018-11-15)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure you are doing this wrong.

The theory is, you set up the paper in your printer driver. Once you've done that you can select that paper in your application (MS Publisher), and if you have not set up the paper in your printer driver then you can't select it.

Now, some printers have actual sensors in the paper drawers and once you load the paper, the printer tells you what size of paper you have. This varies. If you have one of these then the action sequence is: Load paper first, then the printer tells the driver, which then enables you select the paper in the app. AFAIK this is mostly found in mid-range or high end printers.

Here is an example. This happens to be for a black & white Lexmark laser printer, but the basic principles hold true:

Printer Preferences Dialog.jpg

It turns out that under the Paper Size button, I can select a 5.5 x 8.5 inch format (it is called Statement there). If this wasn't available then I'd use the Manage Custom Sizes button (unless this printer can auto-detect the actual paper size), in order to define a new cardstock format.

I haven't used Publisher in ages but it is a standard Windows program and uses all the typical Windows services and rules. It's not a Windows 10-specific app, meaning that it does not use the Metro/Modern interface. Thus Windows 10 has little to do with your issue.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BHarder For This Useful Post:

Graphics Guy (2018-11-15)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,228 Times in 1,066 Posts
    Have you checked Epson support for the latest firmware and drivers?
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi,
    Thank you for the reply. I have latest Win10 drivers installed.
    Respectfully, GG