Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    B: would be great for an external DVD drive, hard drive, or even a flash drive if that's possible.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CEScott View Post
    B: would be great for an external DVD drive, hard drive, or even a flash drive if that's possible.
    C: is the default letter for the OS HDD partition. For a dual boot, D: is the default letter of the non-booted OS HDD partition. The next available letter after the OS partition(s) is assigned for the optical drive. The next available letter after the OS partition(s) is assigned to removable drives.

A: and B: don't seem to be "assignable" by Windows, but are assignable using DISKPART or Disk Management to suit the user. However, once they have been user-assigned, they stick.

If you have a floppy drive cabled up inside the box, it will be recognized during POST, and Windows will assign it drive letter A:.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandJS View Post
    I would not recommend making any HDD or SSD A or B; there are some things that are better left alone, as the previous post implies.
    I agree with Roland. With something as "standard" as the letter C being used for your primary Windows hard drive, I would leave the main hard drive attached to drive letter C. You may never have a problem by reassigning A: to the main hard drive; but sure as I'm standing here, if you do it, one of those rare times will pop up, and some critical task will choke when it finds A assigned to your hard drive.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I still do not see what the big deal is that one needs to use the A and B drive letters.

I agree that it they should be able to be used, but that just one program that is built to use them as floppy drive will get you.

I see that LUGH has posted conflicting info in post 10 and 12, D drive for data and as a second OS drive?

Now running Windows 10 64 Bit OS.
    I am so far behind, I think I am First

Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
    I still do not see what the big deal is that one needs to use the A and B drive letters.

I agree that it they should be able to be used, but that just one program that is built to use them as floppy drive will get you.

I see that LUGH has posted conflicting info in post 10 and 12, D drive for data and as a second OS drive?
    Post #12 is mine, not Lugh's.

When Windows boots, the drive litter assigned to its partition is irrelevant, because Windows is going to change it to C:. I have Windows OS on drives C: and D:. When I boot into the other side of my dual boot, these two OS's change drive letters. The one that is booted always become C: and the other side always becomes D: The boot process uses GUID to locate the OS, not the drive letter. I'll do some rebooting, copying the BCD store from each OS, and post the graphics in my next post.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Here are the shots of the BCD store pertaining to my dual boot as mentioned in the previous post.

The booted OS has "identifier {current}"; note the change in drive letters for the booted and non-booted OS. The booted Windows is always going to be C:, regardless of the drive letter it is assigned when not booted.

Unleash Windows

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12