Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,073 Times in 850 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    Try Linux Mint 18.2. I've had good success all around with it, except for one thing: I can't get it to update. Even if I run the update commands manually. I don't believe it is out of support at this point; there must be some issue on my end.
    18.2 is a Long term support release (LTS) and is supported until April 2021.

Have you tried in a terminal the following:

Code:
    sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade
    The reason I ask is because there's a nasty out (See Nasty security bug found and fixed in Linux apt) and we'll need to patch as soon as one's released for Linux Mint.

Hope this helps...

Thanks
    Okay! Mystery solved. That makes me feel a lot better. Thank you very much Rick.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,073 Times in 850 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CEScott View Post
    Okay! Mystery solved. That makes me feel a lot better. Thank you very much Rick.
    Once installed, just be aware that your installation is not yet up-to-date. Whilst I try to avoid Linux's commandline, the first thing I do after a fresh Linux install is to connect to the internet, open Terminal then use the command I suggested to @mrjimphelps in post #61, i.e.:

Code:
    sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade
    Once you've entered your password you'll see a flurry of activity as your laptop's install is compared to the latest repositories. You'll be given a summary and a Y/N choice whether to install all the identified recommended updates for both the OS and any installed apps.

mint-upgrade-yn.png
    Click to enlarge

It will finish up by writing a log then return you to the prompt.

mint-upgrade-finish.png
    Click to enlarge

You can then close the Terminal window and reboot.

I find this easier and faster than using the Update Manager GUI which, weirdly, doesn't refresh itself automatically when it's opened. YMMV

Hope this helps...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345