Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.1 doesn't have the VLC media player that was on 17.3! Everytime I try to play something on the 19.1 "Media Player", I get notices that I have to download codecs, etc. What a pain. All of this came right out of the box with the 17.3 release!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,092 Times in 863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CEScott View Post
    Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.1 doesn't have the VLC media player that was on 17.3! Everytime I try to play something on the 19.1 "Media Player", I get notices that I have to download codecs, etc. What a pain. All of this came right out of the box with the 17.3 release!
    Strange... mine did. Did you tick the checkbox for the additional third-party software during the install?

Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon.jpg

Thanks
    Thanked 1,656 Times in 1,488 Posts
    Rick,

Use the Software Manager (Main menu->Administration->Software Manager or Apps on the Welcome screen) and search for VLC, it's there and you can install it from there.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG
    (still RetiredGeek on AskWoody.com)

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    I'm still running it in Live mode from the DVD. I haven't installed it yet because I wanted to get to know it a bit first. There is a Media player, but it's not VLC. VLC runs live from the 17.3 DVD. Everything else on 19.1 looks like what I'm used to with Mint 17.3.

I'm glad to hear that I can at least download VLC if I don't like this new media player which only plays wavs and mp3s as it is on the disk.

I also have two extra small partitions that I deleted on my Sony's hard drive. Will install format over these and use the whole drive?
    Last edited by CEScott; 2019-01-08 at 17:42.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Rick,

Use the Software Manager (Main menu->Administration->Software Manager or Apps on the Welcome screen) and search for VLC, it's there and you can install it from there.
    RG, It's the OP who doesn't have VLC, not me. (Although, to be honest, I'm currently using Deepio 15 more than Linux Mint 19 at the moment.)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,656 Times in 1,488 Posts
    Sorry about the confusion Rick.

Happy New Year to you!

May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG
    (still RetiredGeek on AskWoody.com)

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Happy New Year to you too, RG.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I also have VLC that came with Mint Cinnamon 19.1, have had it on several previous versions, both a Desktop and a Notebook.

Thanks
    This thread has become a little diverse... What does the OP say? Continue? New question in a new thread?

Thanks
    Things did get a bit off track. I started off asking if Linux Mint Cinnamon 17.3 would run on a 2006 Sony Vaio laptop in post #1. Then Mint Cinnamon 19.1 was recommended to me and I found out 17.3 support was going to expire in April. I have since installed 17.3 on the Sony laptop and it works perfectly! 17.3 worked perfectly when I ran it from the DVD.

I had gotten Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.1 and ran it from it's DVD and it ran okay too but it didn't load the VLC media player I've come to like so much, so I thought it didn't include it anymore, or, I'd have to download it along with all the codecs, etc. that were included with 17.3. I have not installed 19.1 yet because I want to thoroughly test the Sony laptop with what I'm comfortable with and know works great.

If I could, I would love to stay with the 17.3 but I know I'll have to install 19.1 before too long. I'm hoping I won't be disappointed with 19.1, but from what I've heard and learned here, I don't think I will be. Thanks again to everyone who contributed and had patience with my many questions. I appreciate it very much.

Thanks
    Try Linux Mint 18.2. I've had good success all around with it, except for one thing: I can't get it to update. Even if I run the update commands manually. I don't believe it is out of support at this point; there must be some issue on my end.

Thanks
    Thanks Mr. Jim. I've already gotten the 19.1 version on disk which worked fine when I ran it "live" on the Sony laptop. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to get the VLC player working on it. As others have said, they got VLC included with their 19.1. So I'll see what happens when actually install the Mint 19.1 on the laptop.

Learning Linux is like learning a new language to a smaller extent. I've kept my MS DOS skills up through the years so learning the ones I need in Linux is not a problem for me - helps keep my 70 year old mind sharp! Thanks again for the suggestion.

Thanks
    I've already gotten the 19.1 version on disk which worked fine when I ran it "live" on the Sony laptop. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to get the VLC player working on it. As others have said, they got VLC included with their 19.1. So I'll see what happens when actually install the Mint 19.1 on the laptop.
    Aha! That clears it up. VLC is not available when running any Linux Mint distro in 'live' mode. During installation, make sure you tick the checkbox for the additional third-party software:

Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon.jpg

Reboot after the installation has completed and VLC will be available.

Hope this helps...

Thanks
    Okay, thanks Rick. There's still that mystery as to why my old Mint 17.3 disk ran VLC in "live" mode but it's no big deal. I'll be sure to check the box for "additional third party software" when I install 19.1. I guess that means I will have to be connected to the web during the install right?

Thanks
    There's still that mystery as to why my old Mint 17.3 disk ran VLC in "live" mode but it's no big deal. I'll be sure to check the box for "additional third party software" when I install 19.1. I guess that means I will have to be connected to the web during the install right?
    The ISO for Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon (with VLC enabled in 'live' mode) is 1.4GB, for 18.3 and 19.1 (with VLC not enabled) it's 1.8GB... quite a large increase.

I can't find confirmation anywhere but I suspect the decision to remove VLC from 'live' mode in 18.x and 19.x was solely to reduce the size of the ISO download by leaving some of the former live components (like VLC) in their original compressed formats until after installation.

VLC is embedded within the ISO so you won't need to be connected to the internet whilst installing. VLC needs the codecs which aren't part of a 'standard' install... hence the need to tick that checkbox. (There's other 3rd-party multimedia support in there that you'll probably need, as well as enhanced wifi support.)

Hope this helps...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast