Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanks again Lugh and Mr. Jim for sending all this valuable information! You guys are great. I'll let you know how it goes when I get it finished and hopefully working well.

Any recommendations on what is the best brand and place to buy the new hard drive?
    Last edited by CEScott; 2018-11-30 at 14:20. Reason: Added question about new hard drive

Thanks
    If you're looking for an SSD, I suggest Sandisk. Best Buy usually has good prices on them.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,165 Times in 1,083 Posts
    Samsung EVO disks are good IMO.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Wow, Sony made it easy to get at the RAM, but hard to get to the hard drive. You have to take the whole bottom of the computer off! Lots of screws to lose. Hope there all the same size. Good for security but I'm used to the slide-out hard drives.

Thanks
    Take pics as you go and do not mix up (or lose) the screws!!
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wavy View Post
    Take pics as you go and do not mix up (or lose) the screws!!
    If they're all the same size then no problem, but if they are different, I'm thinking to put a piece of scotch tape over each hole with the loosened screw in the case bottom. I'll take pics of the drive before and during unscrewing more screws. I watched a video on how to get at and remove the hard drive.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,165 Times in 1,083 Posts
    Draw a diagram if they are different lengths.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Lay out a piece of poster board, with a diagram of the computer drawn on it, a lot bigger than actual size. Then put the screws on the poster board, in the same spot on the diagram that you got them from on the computer. You can write helpful notes on the poster board, and you can even tape the screws to the correct locations on the poster board.

Thanks
    Thanks Paul and Mr. Jim. That's a good idea. I haven't as yet had the time to spend on it because of Christmas shopping, having a new furnace put in, etc. I'm hoping to get to it soon though.

Thanks
    Update - I found this on the Best Buy website pertaining to the "Samsung - 860 EVO 250GB Internal SATA Solid State Drive for Laptops".

"SSD's have a limited number of read/writes (generally, you'll likely never exceed this limit), so it's a good practice to avoid putting things on the SSD that are constantly trying to access it. If you CAN use your old Hard Drive as a secondary drive, it's a good idea to configure Windows to save Documents, Music, Videos, anything that is constantly changing to your secondary drive."

I'd like to get this drive but I'm a little concerned about this limited number of read/writes described in this customer review. Otherwise this drive got all great reviews and is rated 4.9 by Best Buy. Any thoughts as to whether I should worry about this?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CEScott View Post
    Any thoughts as to whether I should worry about this?
    No more than on any other SSD! And, of course, any hard drive or SSD can fail without warning at any time - so image regularly!
    BATcher

If it goes right, nobody remembers;
    if it goes wrong, nobody forgets.

Thanks
    Thanks. I forgot to mention that Samsung gives a five year warranty on this drive which I think is pretty good. Also, I ran the 17.3 Live Disk on the Sony and everything ran and worked well. I even got to see and run what was on the existing hard drive. It's looking real good so far.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I wouldn't worry about wearing out a SSD. This "The tech report" article from December of 2014 https://techreport.com/review/27436/...king-petabytes was interesting.

Mark
    Last edited by mledman; 2018-12-26 at 15:13.

Thanks
    Just when I think I'm ready to go, I come up with more questions. I've never installed an SSD before so I'm wondering if they need to be formatted. I think Linux may try to format the drive as part of the install. Is this okay to do on an SSD or will it possibly damage it?

Also, I'm wondering if the dimensions of these 2" SSD's are the same as standard 2" HDD's. The dimensions given on the website say .3" deep, 2.7" wide, and don't give a length. I've compared these dimensions to some of the standard HDD's I have and they're pretty close as far as I can tell (I don't like decimal dimensions).

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,073 Times in 850 Posts
    I've had to use adapter rails to fit 2.5" SSDs into the spaces originally specced for 3.5" HDDs but, so far, haven't experienced any such issues replacing 2.5" laptop HDDs with 2.5" SSDs. Perhaps I've just been lucky.

As for formatting the SSD, I wouldn't worry about it. The Linux Mint install process takes care of that for you automatically. So far I've never needed to do anything except just accept the guided default.

Personally, I would use the newest Linux Mint 19.1 installer... whatever flavour you choose (Cinnamon, Mate, Xfce).

Hope this helps...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast