Thread: DVD Movie Issue

Star Lounger
    Thanks

DVD Movie Issue

Greetings All -

I recently purchased a collection of DVD movie disks (Catholicism - The Series). I first tried playing a number of these disks on my laptop. My laptop originally came with Windows 7 Pro, but has been updated to WIN 10 Pro, version 1803. I tried a number of the movie discs, using both PowerDVD DX 8.3.1 (which came with the laptop) and the latest download of VLC Media Player (3.04 I think), all with the same results. The disks load initially, and I can go as far as selecting an individual Chapter or Scene, but that's as far as things go. VLC changes to a blank play screen, then does nothing, and PowerDVD returns to a generic MENU screen, with the movie title showing in the "Path" window. The rest of my movie collection works just fine on this laptop, using either one of these players.

Six faulty disks you say: These movies play just fine on my desktop computer, which also runs WIN 10, version 1803. My desktop, however, has WINDVD Pro 12, which I bought this summer for Bluray capability after I upgraded one of my optical drives for same. In this case, I played the movie using the WINDVD software but using a DVD drive. I have dual optical drives and generally only use the Bluray drive if I have a Bluray disk to play.

The only thing that comes to mind is that possibly newer media might contain some copywrite protection that WINDVD Pro 12 can work with, but the older PowerDVD can't. I would think that the latest VLC would be able to manage, however, if that were the case. I'd like to load the WINDVD software on my laptop, but I'm pretty sure the license is for one machine only.

The only other thing of note is that these DVDs list ALL as a Region code. I have not seen that before, but if there's a setting that needs adjusting to accommodate, I would think my desktop computer would have the same problem.

Once again, runaway electrons have me confused, and any help that anyone can render would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Casey H.

Thanks
    My favourite media player is Media Player Classic Home Cinema.

The best way to get MPCHC is to install K-Lite MEGA Codec Pack which includes MPCHC. It is free but take note of the provider's warning "Remember to deselect the adware which comes with the application during installation process".

The advantage of the K-Lite MEGA Codec Pack is that it installs all necessary files needed to play multimedia (codecs).
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    Confuscius said: "no use running harder if you're on the wrong road" and "any problem once correctly understood is already half-solved".

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Coochin For This Useful Post:

Casey H (2018-12-04)

Thanks
    +1 for K-Lite.

The other 'best' player I've used recently is Pot Player, if you need to try another.
    Lugh.
    ~
    Dell Alienware Aurora R6; Win10 Home x64 1803; Office 365 x32
    i7-7700; GeForce GTX 1060; 16GB DDR4 2400; 2 x 256G SSD, 4TB HD

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lugh For This Useful Post:

Casey H (2018-12-04),OldMainframeGuy (2018-12-06)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Guys -

I'm still uncertain as to why the DVDs don't play on my laptop. Do newer DVDs require playback software that older versions can't handle? Like I mentioned in my post, all of my other DVDs play just fine.

Casey H.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey H View Post
    I'm still uncertain as to why the DVDs don't play on my laptop. Do newer DVDs require playback software that older versions can't handle?
    I don't know enough about it to answer that, it's been a while since playing a disc movie—we're mainly Netflix recently. However, my guess is it's a CODEC problem, that's been the main issue in my limited reading about playback problems. Give K-Lite a shot, it's an easy thing to try, and you can uninstall it again if it doesn't help.

In earlier times when I played a good few disc movies, I used to keep 3-4 players installed for when one would refuse to play a particular disc. So mismatch between disc and software is definitely a consideration.

these DVDs list ALL as a Region code … if there's a setting that needs adjusting to accommodate, I would think my desktop computer would have the same problem
    Again, I'm sketchy on this. My recollection is the region code can involve 3 components:
    The disc;
    The physical CD/DVD player in your machine;
    The playback software.
    It could be a problem if one of the player or software is pulling against the others, which may be the case with your laptop but not desktop.

ETA
    You should get good info at the AV Forums.
    Last edited by Lugh; 2018-12-05 at 06:22. Reason: ETA
    Lugh.
    ~
    Dell Alienware Aurora R6; Win10 Home x64 1803; Office 365 x32
    i7-7700; GeForce GTX 1060; 16GB DDR4 2400; 2 x 256G SSD, 4TB HD

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Lugh For This Useful Post:

Casey H (2018-12-06)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lugh View Post
    +1 for K-Lite.

The other 'best' player I've used recently is Pot Player, if you need to try another.
    I jettisoned VLC and replaced it with Pot Player the other day. It's runs circles around VLC and does a good job playing DVDs.

Rob