Thanks

New online service will hack printers to spew out spam

Is there no end to this kind of crap?
    https://www.zdnet.com/article/new-on...59341748746160

After a Twitter user hacked over 50,000 printers last week to promote PewDiePie's YouTube channel as part of a guerilla marketing campaign, a new service has spawned over the weekend advertising the same type of functionality, but for everyone.

Going under the generic term of "Printer Advertising," this new service claims it can hack printers all over the world to print out messages on demand, similar to the PewDiePie promo hack that took place over the weekend.

"We have the ability to reach every single printer in the world," claims a website launched on Sunday. "Reservations are limited."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,636 Times in 1,476 Posts
    Lumpy,

Unless I miss my guess if your printer is behind a NAT (network address translation) Router and using one of the Non-routeable (192.168... or 10.10...) base addresses you have nothing to worry about. Of course this is based on my limited understanding of networking.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    RG,
    According to the article, they "claim" to be able to reach "any" printer in the world.

Thanks
    Lumpy, advertisers and marketers are in the business of deception and manipulation at the best of times.

Add in that this shower are criminals promoting a criminal activity, and it's a safe bet that any relationship between their promo copy and the truth or reality is purely accidental.

Those are the times we live in.

I read elsewhere that the Twitter user who did the PewDiePie hack was able to find 800,000 vulnerable printers, and got all the necessary scripts & info online in about half an hour.
    Lugh.
    ~
    Dell Alienware Aurora R6; Win10 Home x64 1803; Office 365 x32
    i7-7700; GeForce GTX 1060; 16GB DDR4 2400; 2 x 256G SSD, 4TB HD

Thanks
    advertisers and marketers are in the business of deception and manipulation at the best of times
    Exactly, except you forgot "intrusion".

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    They won't reach mine. I don't use my printer much so I keep it turned off. When I do use it I also have to plug the data cord into a USB port (no WiFi on this printer). I usually save things such as .pdf files, etc. and print them out later when I'm disconnected from the WEB (yes, I turn my DSL modem off when I have no reason to be online).