Star Lounger
    Thanks

Question Brand new 4TB internal SATA HDD not detected by Windows

I have just connected up a brand new internal 4TB Seagate SATA HDD to use as a secondary drive for storing data. In Windows 10 Computer Management I cannot see the new drive (see screen capture). It just shows me my 'C' drive (containing the OS) and my 'D' drive (another secondary drive storing data). My BIOS detects the Seagate drive so I know it is connected ok. I've also felt the drive and can feel it rotating. I've also looked at DiskPart from the command prompt but it too doesn't show the new Seagate drive.

This is the very first time I have connected the drive up to my PC so I've not 'initialised' the drive or even formatted it yet. Do you have any suggestions how I can get Windows to 'detect' the drive? Many thanks, Mark

diskpart.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mark_Miller; 2018-12-03 at 17:13. Reason: Additional content

Thanks
    Have you re-checked your connections to make certain they are completely seated? I use a 4TB drive for backups of my NAS, seated in a drive dock on top of the case, and it is recognized as soon as I plug it in (the port is configured hot-swappable).

The power connection will spin it up, but the SATA connection may need to be re-seated in order for it to be recognized by Windows.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,148 Times in 1,069 Posts
    Try a different connector. Try a different cable. Try a different computer.

cheers, Paul

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    After re-checking all the connections it still wasn't detected by Windows. I then tried different cables to no effect. Then I tried a different SATA socket on the motherboard and bingo, the drive could be seen by Windows Computer Management! It would seem I have a faulty SATA socket! Thanks guys for your advise. I will try to mark this thread as resolved.