Thanks

Microsoft plans to rebuild Edge browser using Chromium on Windows 10

Microsoft confirms plan to rebuild Edge browser using Chromium on Windows 10
    https://www.windowscentral.com/micro...ium-windows-10

Interesting announcement!
    Clone or Image often! Backup, backup, backup, backup...
    - - - - -
    Home Built System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit, AMD Athlon II X3 435 CPU, 16GB DDR3 RAM, ASUSTeK M4A89GTD-PRO/USB3 (AM3) motherboard, 512GB SanDisk SSD, 3 TB WD HDD, 1024MB ATI AMD RADEON HD 6450 video, ASUS VE278 (1920x1080) display, ATAPI iHAS224 Optical Drive, integrated Realtek High Definition Audio

Thanks
    To go on Win7??? Unless they're planning to extend 7's lifespan beyond the funeral due in a year.

Edge has never got me, I launch IE in preference whenever I need a second browser. I guess MS isn't happy with the ~5% browser share, this could help it gain traction in the corporate world.

How does this affect UWP?

Definitely interesting, probably part of a long-term focus on mobile services via Azure. I assume it'll attract more dev support for browser apps.
    Lugh.
    ~
    Dell Alienware Aurora R6; Win10 Home x64 1803; Office 365 x32
    i7-7700; GeForce GTX 1060; 16GB DDR4 2400; 2 x 256G SSD, 4TB HD

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lugh View Post
    . . . planning to extend 7's lifespan beyond the funeral due in a year.
    It isn't a funeral. Being "without support" means that Windows 7 has grown up and is going out into the world alone. It'll be fine

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MartinM For This Useful Post:

CEScott (2018-12-18)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,262 Times in 1,091 Posts
    Edge with Chromium will be a Win32 app which will be serviced separately from the OS. I don't know if Microsoft is capable of reaching monthly updates as Google and others can but it most likely will be on a faster cadence than twice a year.

I think Microsoft recognized the futility of chasing Chromium and the expense and decided they can differentiate at the app level and just use the rendering engine like many others do.
    Joe

Thanks
    I'm transitioning to Firefox. I'm just not interested in an all-things-Google world.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Administrator
    Thanks
    Two things. One, Microsoft will be using the Chromium web rendering engine not the Chrome browser. Chromium was started by Google but is an open source project with many contributors now. Two, Microsoft can and will implement its own UI building any unique attributes it desires to distinguish from other browsers. It does NOT have to have any participation in Google land.
    Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Two things. One, Microsoft will be using the Chromium web rendering engine not the Chrome browser. Chromium was started by Google but is an open source project with many contributors now. Two, Microsoft can and will implement its own UI building any unique attributes it desires to distinguish from other browsers. It does NOT have to have any participation in Google land.
    I understand that, on the other hand, "... as far as Mozilla CEO Chris Beard is concerned, this is Goodbye to EdgeHTML, hello to even more control over online life being handed to Google. Browser engines may be invisible to users, he wrote in a blog on Thursday, but they hold great sway over what can be done online and what developers prioritize:

The ‘browser engines’ – Chromium from Google and Gecko Quantum from Mozilla – are ‘inside baseball’ pieces of software that actually determine a great deal of what each of us can do online. They determine core capabilities such as which content we as consumers can see, how secure we are when we watch content, and how much control we have over what websites and services can do to us. Microsoft’s decision gives Google more ability to single-handedly decide what possibilities are available to each one of us."

I don't want my internet experience to be Google-centric.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    "Microsoft’s decision gives Google more ability to single-handedly decide what possibilities are available to each one of us."
    I don't get what the Mozilla guy means by this. As Joe said, Chromium is open source, so how can Google—or other devs like Adobe, Intel, Opera, Samsung, etc—"single-handedly decide" anything about it? Sounds like CEO marketing speak to me.

I never fancied Chrome or Firefox. However I quite like Opera which is based on the same Blink engine as Chrome, but has a long independent history back to the 90s. The only obvious Google connection I see is access to most Chrome plugins/addons in addition to the smaller Opera suite of same.

The next browser I'll try is likely to be Vivaldi—billed as Opera for techies—which is another Blink-based but highly customized offering.

I don't want my internet experience to be Google-centric
    Me neither. I rarely use their search engine, never joined Google+ or used their other social apps like Picasa, Hangout etc. I don't see a danger in Blink-based browsers.
    Last edited by Lugh; 2018-12-12 at 21:16. Reason: Typo: add "get" in first line
    Lugh.
    ~

Thanks
    I don't what the Mozilla guy means by this. As Joe said, Chromium is open source, so how can Google—or other devs like Adobe, Intel, Opera, Samsung, etc—"single-handedly decide" anything about it? Sounds like CEO marketing speak to me.
    I understand all that. Chromium is open source, after extensive development by Google and then being released to open source. That doesn't mean that Google is now and will forever be hands-free of Chromium. Being open source means anyone can contribute to the source code, and that includes Google.

If the vast majority of web developers are developing for Chromium, that doesn't make it any less Google-centric, as far as I'm concerned. For more, see this thread.

Unleash Windows

11. The Following User Says Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

satrow (2018-12-12)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Google can and probably does still contribute to Chromium. What Chromium being open source should mean is that calls to Google specific services for tracking, logging, etc. should not be present. Those should be up to Google to implement in browser - Chrome. I would expect the contributors to Chromium to have raised a stink if otherwise.

NOTE: I could very well be all wet.
    Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Google can and probably does still contribute to Chromium. What Chromium being open source should mean is that calls to Google specific services for tracking, logging, etc. should not be present. Those should be up to Google to implement in browser - Chrome. I would expect the contributors to Chromium to have raised a stink if otherwise.

NOTE: I could very well be all wet.
    The thing is that even though I might use a different browser, if Google is my favorite search engine, Google still has me stuck firmly in their web.

That's what I don't care for, hence my thread in the Security & Scams Forum.

Unleash Windows

Thanks
    H-TG article:
    How Microsoft Is About to Make Google Chrome Even Better

Most in the comments don't buy it.
    Lugh.
    ~

Thanks

Unleash Windows

16. The Following User Says Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

RockE (2018-12-19)

Thanks
    Most in the comments don't buy it.
    I don't quite buy it either.
    Clone or Image often! Backup, backup, backup, backup...
    - - - - -
    Home Built System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit, AMD Athlon II X3 435 CPU, 16GB DDR3 RAM, ASUSTeK M4A89GTD-PRO/USB3 (AM3) motherboard, 512GB SanDisk SSD, 3 TB WD HDD, 1024MB ATI AMD RADEON HD 6450 video, ASUS VE278 (1920x1080) display, ATAPI iHAS224 Optical Drive, integrated Realtek High Definition Audio

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Edge is a pretty good browser; mainly use it at work with the online tools I use. Even use it more often than I should at home (try to use a Sandbox OS mainly, but do browse outside the sandbox way too often than I should and when I do, it's usually Edge). Don't understand why they want to use Chromium engine, but the advantage of doing so is many plugin/apps that work in Chrome.