3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Replacement for Windows Home Server 2011

We use WHS 2011 SP1 on a HP Proliant Microserver; we have a fully wired house, three users, though this number need not be limited at three. We use the server primarily for taking backups from the three desktops/laptops, also for "parking" stuff to enable copying from one user to another. We could use it to dial in from outside, but never have. Microsoft have stopped supporting WHS 2011 with any more than Defender definition updates. I think it may be time to consider moving on to a supported OS, or an alternative system. I don't really want to replace hardware, if possible.

My son, who knows a lot more that I do about these things, suggested that I consider three options:
    1) - FreeNAS
    2) - Disc Station Manager
    3) - MS Server Essentials R2 2012
    Do any Loungers have a passionate attachment to any of the above, strongly positive or negative experiences?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,165 Times in 1,083 Posts
    If you only want file sharing then FreeNAS would be fine, but scanning the files for viruses is trickier than in Windows.
    https://forums.freenas.org/index.php...reenas-v11.66/

Why do you want to replace WHS? If it works and you keep it away from the internet, what's the issue?

cheers, Paul

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Paul - thanks, yes, there's a degree of "if it's not broke, don't fix it", and I can easily close off inbound access from the internet.

Best wishes, John