Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have just succeeded, I think, in changing my WSL username (now ScotchJohn) and password the same as it is on AskWoody, which I hope may help.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ScotchJohn For This Useful Post:

Woody (2019-01-16)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    Quick update....

We've been working our tails off during the holiday. Most of the infrastructure is in place, but I'm still stalled on getting the newsletter signup routine working -- the developers are putting the final touches on the sign-up prompt, but the plumbing seems to be working.

I've asked Penton to stop taking new Newsletter subscribers through their sign-up mechanism. We should have the new sign-up working shortly.

Still on schedule to get the first Newsletter out bright 'n early on Monday morning.

Migrating the Lounge is next on the list, after we get the Newsletter squared away.

And I'm still begging for 28 hour workdays....
    Woody, I have not yet received the newsletter in January despite renewing in December under the old regime.....
    Is there a reason I have not received it?
    Thank You
    Mark

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,243 Times in 1,077 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by markinhfx View Post
    Woody, I have not yet received the newsletter in January despite renewing in December under the old regime.....
    Thank You
    Mark
    Please check your spam folder. If you have done that then email customersupport@askwoody.com. It would most likely be better to email from your registered email address. Knowing there would be glitches and many questions right now, Woody is reading all the customer support email.
    Joe

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

Woody (2019-01-16)

Thanks
    Thank You
    Mark
    Could be that your email program is blocking the new "From" address. Or maybe we screwed up the transition. Merging databases is so much fun!

Anyway, if you have any problems at all, shoot me mail: CustomerSupport@AskWoody.com.

Thanks!
    Woody

For Dummies book author, Senior Contributing Editor for InfoWorld, and long-suffering Windows victim. Check out the latest at AskWoody.com.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by A1ex View Post
    That's sad - I much prefer the layout and presentation of this forum to Ask Woody.
    Man, I sympathize. But consider the outages. Brian and I built out the original vBulletin Lounge many years ago, based on original programming by Eileen Wharmby (who was a genius). We cobbled and pushed and pulled, added features and modified till the cows come home. Since then it's been held together with baling wire and chewing gum.

There's a reason why the site goes down so frequently, and stays down so long.
    Woody

For Dummies book author, Senior Contributing Editor for InfoWorld, and long-suffering Windows victim. Check out the latest at AskWoody.com.

Thanks
    Thank You
    Mark
    Hard to say. Shoot me mail CustomerSupport@AskWoody.com
    Woody

Thanks
    Thanked 1,038 Times in 826 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    Man, I sympathize. But consider the outages. Brian and I built out the original vBulletin Lounge many years ago, based on original programming by Eileen Wharmby (who was a genius). We cobbled and pushed and pulled, added features and modified till the cows come home. Since then it's been held together with baling wire and chewing gum.

There's a reason why the site goes down so frequently, and stays down so long.
    With respect, IMO there's absolutely no correlation 'why WSL goes down so frequently' [which it doesn''t in truth - just two or three times in the last decade AFAIK) to the differences in visual presentation of WSL vs AskWoody which A1ex refers to.

Sorry, but... despite all its problems, I believe WSL deserves more respect. It's an amazing forum and, visually, far superior.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

A1ex (2019-01-18),Lugh (2019-01-19),ScotchJohn (2019-01-18),wavy (2019-01-18)

Thanks
    I agree Rick, the Askwoody site looks rubbish on my 28" screen, far too narrow. I can't find any logic to the way posts are laid out (though I'm trying to).

But what gets me is the constant sniping and whinging about MS and Windows. Quite frankly, if it's not relevant to the thread there is no need for people to say e.g. "I'm never going to Win 10". But there seems to me to be a lot of this. We don't get it on WSL. For example, I know that Rick and MrJimPhelps don't like Win 10 and are using Linux more and more but neither of them slag it off at every opportunity. I look after 9 PCs and have yet to have a problem with any. And I think Win 10 is so much better than Win 7 and wouldn't use anything that makes it look like Win 7. But I don't harp on it at every opportunity (even if I think it).

There, I've got this off my chest. I'm going to lie down in a darkened room....
    Cartophilia rocks

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to access-mdb For This Useful Post:

bbearren (2019-01-18),jwitalka (2019-01-18),Lugh (2019-01-19),OldMainframeGuy (2019-01-19),ScotchJohn (2019-01-18),wavy (2019-01-18)

Thanks
    'Too narrow' should be an easy fix on most browsers: Ctrl++ for wider, Ctrl-- for narrower, Ctrl0 to reset.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by satrow View Post
    'Too narrow' should be an easy fix on most browsers: Ctrl++ for wider, Ctrl-- for narrower, Ctrl0 to reset.
    All that does is make the font larger or smaller, it doesn't change the line length. I'm a fast reader, so I keep running off the end of lines when they are short - and they get shorter when posts get progressively indented.

Anyway, I'm sure Woody will try and please us WSLers as far as layout is concerned. But I don't demand that it must be exactly the same as here...

Back to the darkened room...
    Cartophilia rocks

15. The Following User Says Thank You to access-mdb For This Useful Post:

RockE (2019-01-18)

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,156 Times in 1,077 Posts
    Give it some time for the new stuff to be sorted, then we can look at improving the look and feel.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by access-mdb View Post
    lines get shorter when posts get progressively indented
    I hope that isn't also the layout template used for mobile devices. It would make the forum unreadable on small screens.

the Askwoody site looks rubbish on my 28" screen, far too narrow
    I can confirm it's not any better on a 42"

Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    Give it some time for the new stuff to be sorted, then we can look at improving the look and feel.
    Oh, of course. The main thing is it's now with someone who cares.
    Last edited by Lugh; 2019-01-19 at 04:51.
    Lugh.
    ~
    Dell Alienware Aurora R6; Win10 Home x64 1803; Office 365 x32
    i7-7700; GeForce GTX 1060; 16GB DDR4 2400; 2 x 256G SSD, 4TB HD

Thanks
    PS If the merger continues to prove as troublesome as these things inevitably do, it might be a lot simpler to import the much smaller AW forum into this WS forum, as a Plan B.

I'm not talking about keeping the name, or not moving server—just saying that moving ~12K threads / ~120K posts might be easier than the current task of moving 100K+ threads & 1M+ posts. Are there also a lot more members here in WSL?—I couldn't see a number at W.

Since vB is apparently much 'larger' software than bbPress, it should also be easier to squeeze the small forum into the large one, than vice versa.
    Lugh.
    ~
    Dell Alienware Aurora R6; Win10 Home x64 1803; Office 365 x32
    i7-7700; GeForce GTX 1060; 16GB DDR4 2400; 2 x 256G SSD, 4TB HD

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lugh For This Useful Post:

A1ex (2019-01-19),wavy (2019-01-19)

Thanks
    Just my 2 cent's worth but Word Press is nowhere near as intuitive as VB and trying to put an avatar on Word Press/Gravatar is not an easy task for anyone who is not already "somewhat" computer savvy. I'm still trying to figure out how to use Woody's site to the fullest and it is not easy.
    Since Word Press has been chosen for our direction, we will have to deal with it as best we can. Hmmm, maybe Woody can write another "Dummies" book on how to use the site, LOL
    Don't get me wrong, I'm extremely happy that Woody and all the old WS contributors have come together to rescue WS from it's demise and they are working hard to do it, but there will be quite a learning curve.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to lumpy95 For This Useful Post:

ScotchJohn (2019-01-19)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,243 Times in 1,077 Posts
    From Woody at Swallowing a whale: The joys of integrating Windows Secrets Lounge into AskWoody:

"Sometime in the next week-or-so we’ll be merging the Windows Secrets Lounge into the AskWoody Lounge.
    It’s a big project. Windows Secrets has more than a million posts, going back to the days when Brian and I started it. There are many hundreds of active users and more than 100,000 user accounts that are dormant. I think of it as swallowing a whale."
    Joe

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

lumpy95 (2019-01-20),ScotchJohn (2019-01-21)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234