Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Question Macrium Reflect Hangs Partway Through Windows 7 Backup

Happy Holidays, Loungers...and best wishes for 2019!

Before Christmas, tried 3 times to run Macrium Reflect (free) to back up my system. What was on the screen as it got started:
    Saving Partition SYSTEM
    Creating Volume Snapshot
    Reading file system...

It went along just fine until the 19% point when it stopped responding. System seemed to freeze, too, since I could not shut down PC until I finally managed to log off as user in the box that comes up with CTRL-ALT-DEL.

Do any of you know what's happening? How to get this working? I could find nothing that addressed this specific issue for Win7 in Macrium's forum.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Linda

Thanks
    Thanked 1,656 Times in 1,488 Posts
    Linda,

On your C: drive navigate to: C:\ProgramData\Macrium\Reflect
    Find the .html file with the newest date/time and double click it. Then scroll to the bottom.

If successful it would look like this:
    MacriumImageReport.JPG

If not report back what you see.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG
    (still RetiredGeek on AskWoody.com)

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Linda,

Where are you writing the backup to? Is it an external USB drive? If so, there could be a problem with the drive, such that the data cannot be written and Macrium hangs waiting for a response. A few things you could try:

Check that the drive has enough free space (and then some) to accommodate the backup.
    Run some diagnostics on the drive, for example CHKDSK /R.
    Check if it is badly fragmented, if so defrag.
    Run Macrium's write check utility on the drive.

This last one can be run whatever the backup medium is. Make sure it is connected and ready, fire up Macrium, then go to Backup > Disk Write Performance. In the new window which opens, check that your backup drive is highlighted, then click on "Edit". In the drop down box, select "Automaticaly Detect", then OK, then "Test". It will then write a short file, and at the end it will report the write speeds for"File System Cache" and "Direct Disk I/O". Go back into "Edit", and in the drop down box, select whichever write method was faster, then OK and Close.

It's also possible that the disk you are backing up has a problem and cannot be read properly, and there again Macrium could be just waiting for a response. If your entire system seemed to freeze, that could be more indicative. Run some of the above on the source disk as well. Do you have similar problems/freezes when not running Macrium?

In Macrium, also look into "Other Tasks" > "Edit Defaults". In the "Backup" tab, select "Compression" and ensure that "Intelligent sector copy" is selected. This ensures that only disk sectors in use by the file system will be backed up, and not any possibly bad sectors which could cause a problem.

Good luck, and Happy New Year to you.
    Last edited by Bundaburra; 2018-12-26 at 20:13.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bundaburra For This Useful Post:

Dick-Y (2019-01-05)

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks so much to my online buddy, Retired Geek, and to Bundaburra. Apologies for not getting back to you. I'd forgotten to select "notify via email" when I posted and kept wondering why I hadn't heard back! Duh.

Will review and follow both of your posts and get back to you once I have tried them out.

I appreciate your suggestions and hope you'll forgive me for such sluggish responsiveness!

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Retired Geek,

Just performed the task you suggested. Double click opened a browser page with the URL file:///C:/ProgramData/Macrium/Reflect/22DE7703F38049CA-00-00.html.

However, the page was blank even when I tried it a few times.

Does this tell you anything?

Linda

P.S. Bundaburra, will work through your suggestions next.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Bundaburra,

Finally made time to get back at your suggestions.

I'd done a thorough check of the backup medium (external HDD) a week ago and it reported the disk was fine. Just I went through each of the other steps in your post #3. Learned that File System Cache was a little faster. Selected it; then, confirmed that "Intelligent sector copy was selected under Compression.

Then, I tried the backup again ... and it worked perfectly! Yay.

Thank you so much. It's a huge relief to be backed up at last. One thing this lounge has taught me is the importance of regular backups!!

Many thanks for your help,

Linda

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 1,089 Posts
    Thanks for the update.

cheers, Paul

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    You're welcome, Paul. It took me a while do get it done, but I was delighted to be able to backup once again, thanks to this Lounge and its amazing denizens!!

Linda

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi again Linda, pleased to know that you got it working. Yes, a recent backup is good insurance in case something gets hosed. I have had to restore from backup on more than one occasion, and it always works. I have a lot of respect for Macrium Reflect, the free version

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Glad you saw my update, Bundaburra! You were a huge help.

Hope you're not roasting with the heat "down there"!

Linda

Thanks
    Thanked 1,093 Times in 864 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IreneLinda
    Apologies for not getting back to you. I'd forgotten to select "notify via email" when I posted and kept wondering why I hadn't heard back! Duh.
    Just be aware that - as a direct consequence of the transfer of the forum - notification emails to forum staff appear to have ceased already. It's more than likely that notification emails to subscribed topics may also cease without warning... so you'll need to keep an eye on your topics rather than rely on emails.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Aha. I had not realized that. Thanks, Rick. I'll be sure to check in the Lounge regardless of an email.

Linda