2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows can't file in AppData\Roaming

When my father boots his laptop, he is seeing two error messages about Windows not being able to find a file. This occurs after the Desktop appears and the startup seems complete. The first is:

"Windows cannot find 'C:\Users\Henry\AppData\Roaming\8a88.84b26'. Make sure you typed the name correctly , and then try again."

The second error I actually caused myself, but did so trying to find out why a file was being opened by Wordpad at the same time. This was an empty file named "Ode3.10fa7" and it opened without any user action when the computer was booted. I found the file and renamed it to "Ode3-delete.10fa7" to see what would happen when the laptop was restarted. Now the first error message appears, along with this one:

"Windows cannot find 'C:\Users\Henry\AppData\Roaming\Ode3.10fa7'. Make sure you typed the name correctly , and then try again."

My problem is that I have no idea what is trying to open this empty file. Searching for that extension did not turn up anything. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You could install Sysinternals Autoruns:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sys...loads/autoruns

This will show you what's running during startup; most likely whatever is trying to open the file will show up there. What version of Windows is this?

Rob
    Last edited by OldMainframeGuy; 2018-12-26 at 22:50.

Thanks
    Might be a good idea to run something like MalwareBytes AntiMalware to check for malware.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry! It's Windows 10. I'll see what autoruns turns up. Thanks!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Okay, by using Autoruns, I seem to have found a possible culprit (or cultprits) but not sure what it means. Under the "Logon" section related to the "roaming" folder tree, there are three shortcuts to CMD.EXE. Two of them were running while the error messages described above were being displayed. They closed when I cleared the messages. I've attached a screen shot:

IMG_1642.jpg

I'm going to disable them and restart the laptop, however they look like something created automatically by another program.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Try running Sysinternals as Administrator; then right-click on one of those entries and select "Jump to Entry". It will load Regedit and show you the registry entry that's causing this. It might show some clues. And to Vincenzo's point, you ought to run a malware scan (Malwarebytes would be good); this doesn't look Kosher.

Rob

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    To disable (or delete) an entry in Autoruns, you need to be running it as Administrator. Otherwise your changes will not stick, and the item(s) will still be active at the next startup.