Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Chuck, the file in documents isn't your data, it's a link to your online OneNote. So all your notes are in the cloud, none on are on your hard drive. Right click your file in onedrive/documents and you'll see what I mean.
    onenote2.PNG

If you mean you copied the data from the cloud and it's called something like Open Notebook.onetoc2 then that's a file from OneNote 201x, or at least, that's what it is on mine. Link for your ON for 10 notebook should look like this:
    onenote3.PNG
    (Ignore names.txt)
    Cartophilia rocks

Thanks
    Malcolm;

I have my notebook(s) at C:\Users\OL Man\OneDrive\Documents\OneNote Notebooks. If I right-click one of the notebooks, it shows a location of "C:\Users\OL Man\OneDrive\Documents\OneNote Notebooks\Try Six\Open Notebook.onetoc2".

Windows 10 OneNote may in fact save to the cloud (only?), but it certainly seems that Office 2010 OneNote saves locally fine. There is a choice to save to the web at install, but also locally.

Now, since my local location is in my OneDrive folder, it is *also* in the cloud, but not only.

Yes?
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Thanks
    You are correct. ON 201x saves to \Documents\OneNote Notebooks by default and if that's in OneDrive then it's in the cloud as well as locally. However, if you try and open that notebook in ON for W10 then it changes it to a link in \OneDrive\documents\ so it won't be on your local drive. As I said before, it's then up to you which way you jump. Perhaps Evernote or another OneNote alternatives might be better.
    Cartophilia rocks

Thanks
    As you can't delete the ON for W10 links from your desktop, only from your online OneDrive, I went there to delete the various test notebooks I created to investigate. However, I actually went to OneNote instead. I right clicked on one of the test notebooks and lo and behold there's an export notebook option (but no delete). So I clicked that and it downloaded the notebook as a zipped file. There's more information on this page . So by exporting the notebook you can have it saved on your own hard drive. You can also import the zipped file as well (all mentioned on that link).

We live and learn!
    Cartophilia rocks

Thanks
    But I'm not saving to User\Documents\... but rather to User\OneDrive\Documents\OneNote Notebooks. So, are those files (separately from ON) synced and saved to the Web to my OneNote folder there?

It sure seems that way, because I can format my drive, re-install W10, then sync my OneDrive to my now new (and empty) folder, and all the files come back.
    Last edited by CWBillow; 2019-01-08 at 15:14. Reason: correction
    Chuck Billow
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

Thanks
    See my post #33 - if that folder is in OneDrive, it's saved in eth cloud and locally. But it's a ON 201x file and it will be converted if you open it in ON 201x
    Cartophilia rocks

Thanks
    Ah, I see...Sorry Malcolm. Then I'm good. As for W10 OnenOte, for my plebeian purposes, 2010 works fine, and doesn't have the file save/delete issues either!
    Chuck Billow

Thanks
    Fair enough. Note that I mistyped in my post #36. "it will be converted if you open it in ON 201x " should be "it will be converted if you open it in ON for W10. And deleting in On for W10 is simple, just delete the notebook link from your online OneDrive - you can't delete it locally. The problem only occurs when mixing ON 201x and ON for W10 notebooks because the latter can't delete the former. And exporting Notebooks in ON for W10 solves the backup and single point of failure issue, though I hope MS improves this part of ON!
    Cartophilia rocks

Thanks
    So, if I have ON 2010 running and all notebooks are "fine", if I decided to delete all my notebooks in 2010, and uninstalled 2010 and installed W10, would the notebooks remain "gone" or are they lurking somewhere in the cosmos? I like the idea of ON W10, if for no other reason than I think MS will be phasing out 2010 gradually if not sooner, and as I am installing Office 2016 (?) Home Premium for everything else. But I surely don't want to end up back in the same mayhem I just (seemingly) got away from.
    Last edited by CWBillow; 2019-01-10 at 15:51.
    Chuck Billow

Thanks
    OK, Malcolm...

I deleted everything I had locally, and everything on my OneDrive. Then I uninstalled OneNote 2010. Reboot. Install OneNote for Windows 10. Open ON W10, click the arrow " < " that then shows me "More Notebooks." Click "More Notebooks, and, lo and behold, ALL my old notebooks show up but are inaccessible ("Moved or deleted").

I log onto my OneDrive, and there ain't nothing there.

So am I kind of back where I started???
    ---
    I just happened to think ...again...Those old notebooks, or the listing I keep seeing of them, is somewhere either on the net or on my computer. What we/I obviously haven't found is where that list resides. Because once it is gone, so are my ghost files.

Now, somebody somewhere HAS to know how/where W10 ON looks for the listing. THAT'S what I need to delete!
    Last edited by CWBillow; 2019-01-10 at 18:45.
    Chuck Billow

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Do you or have you had OneNote installed on any other device?
    If so are they (it) connected to OneDrive?
    This may even be a phone.

Now running Windows 10 64 Bit OS.
    I am so far behind, I think I am First

Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

Thanks
    No sir, have not.

And Dave, yesterday I installed OneNote 2010, and all the same notebooks appeared -- my point in installing 2010. I easily erased them from 2010, which then showed no notebooks. So I uninstalled 2010, reinstalled W10, and there they were!
    Last edited by CWBillow; 2019-01-10 at 20:18.
    Chuck Billow

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Post a screen shot of this listing and how you get this list?

Now running Windows 10 64 Bit OS.
    I am so far behind, I think I am First

Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

Thanks
    Double-Click the W10 OneNote icon on desktop;
    Click the left arrow on opening screen;
    Click "More Notebooks.

And then I see:

OneNote.png

And NONE of these are accessible. They all give me the "this file has been moved or deleted" message.
    ---
    And this AFTER first\seeing this screen and then reinstalling 2010, and deleting ALL... So that NONE show up on restart of 2010.
    Last edited by CWBillow; 2019-01-10 at 22:15. Reason: Added
    Chuck Billow

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Long shot (I am not using OneNote in any form): if you rt-click OneNote-W10 on the start menu (or taskbar), do you get a jump list of files? If so, are the troublesome ones in the list, and can you rt-click on them and remove? Martin the intrigued

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast