Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks
    No, no jump list seen.
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Now running Windows 10 64 Bit OS.
    I am so far behind, I think I am First

Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

Thanks
    Dave, the available menu options in ON W10 don't show any "Recent" notebooks. I do know that this morning when I was looking there were several posts in several places about thisthissame issue... Such as this

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...8-6d43b86d43cc

And as can be seen, this is far from a new issue. The part of this that gets me is that the information is coming from somewhere...Where?
    Last edited by CWBillow; 2019-01-11 at 14:55.
    Chuck Billow
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Intrigued, I have managed to reproduce your issue: I created some new NBs, I think using the ON-W10 app, and they appeared in my onedrive 'files>docs' folder (I was bemused by the fact that I had apparently no control over where they were saved - this has almost certainly been covered above, but its new to me). I then moved one of the NBs to another Onedrive folder, using the web-based interface (I don't have the onedrive PC app installed), and went back to the ON-W10 app, and selected 'More NBs' - and the one I moved threw up the error you have been getting. So the app cannot apparently hunt around in Onedrive to find the lost file (the shown links were clearly for onedrive files). I shut it down.

So then I logged back in to Onedrive, opened the web onenote, and after selecting the 'missing' NB in More NBs, it promptly opened. Logged out of onedrive, back to the W10-app, and now it can find the moved file also! It is as if the web-app has fixed the break in the catalogue that onedrive keeps. I tried this again just to be sure, then deleted the moved NB using onedrive. The file now disappeared from the 'more NBs' list in the Web-app, and also (subsequently) from the W10-app (but I admit to somewhat losing track of all the details).

So one thing to try would be to attempt to open one of the missing NBs from the web app: if it is found, it may then be accessible via the W10-app, and if not it may disappear from the 'more NBs' list. If you have the onedrive app (which I believe you do), you could search your whole onedrive storage for onenote files, in case the missing ones show up - putting them in the 'correct' (files>docs) folder and then deleting with the web app might then tidy up the onedrive catalogue.

HTH, Martin

Note that I didn't touch ON-2010 (which I have), as that didn't seem to be aware of all the comings and goings of onenote files.
    Last edited by mngerhold; 2019-01-12 at 12:07.

Thanks
    Martin, first off, I appreciate your efforts. Then, working (sort of) backwards, The issue I am experiencing is NOT that files are there and cannot be found, but that files are reported as being there when in fact they are gone.

I think that NB's created in ON W10 can then be found in W10, or so it seems with my somewhat meager experience. That being the case they can be followed as needed. But any NB created in another version of ON, once ON W10 sees it, cannot evidently be properly deleted (removed) from W10's "More Notebooks" list, even after being deleted by the ON version that first created it.

Simply put, it appears that what ON W10 lacks is any type of backward compatibility.

As far as opening one of the missing NB's, it is rather that W10 ON sees NB's that are not there any longer if they are deleted outside of W10 ON. Once ON W10 sees them, if created outside of ON W10, the file "marker" that is created in ON W10 cannot be removed.

I did find that after installing Office 365, with ON W10 NOT activated, I could install ON 2010 without issue and notebooks that should be there were and those I had deleted were gone.

Perhaps MS will fix this issue before totally abandoning ON 2010!

As for ON 2010, I figured that the issue was convoluted enough that a little more wouldn't hurt ( :-), so I installed a clean version of Office and then added ON 2010.
    Last edited by CWBillow; 2019-01-12 at 14:18.
    Chuck Billow

Thanks
    What I think I may do is install both W10 OneNote and OneNote 2010. Microsoft says that it is "OK" and that way I'll be able to **maybe** figure out what the origin of my dilemma is.

https://support.office.com/en-us/art...1-7fe14102cf3c
    Chuck Billow

Thanks
    Thanked 1,073 Times in 850 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CWBillow View Post
    What I think I may do is install both W10 OneNote and OneNote 2010. Microsoft says that it is "OK" and that way I'll be able to **maybe** figure out what the origin of my dilemma is.

https://support.office.com/en-us/art...1-7fe14102cf3c
    Chuck,

Just to see what the issue was I installed the store-based OneNote from the Win 10 Start menu. (Note that I do not have any version of Office OneNote installed.)

I created 2 test notebooks and found no way of determining their location from the OneNote GUI.

However, I think I may have found the location of Win 10 OneNote's MRU (Most Recently Used) list. I downloaded Everything (get the right bitness version), ran it as Administrator then searched for OneNote.

Everything found this:
    onenote05.png
    Click to enlarge

I right-clicked on the foldername and chose Open Path then drilled down to this folder:

onenote06.png
    Click to enlarge

I opened the Documents_en-GB file in Notepad... and found the names of my notebooks and their remote locations!

onenote07.png
    Click to enlarge

I then did another search in Everything using Documents_en-GB and it found a shortcut (.LNK) file. (Obviously your MRU filename will be different.)

I deleted both Documents_en-GB and the shortcut to it then opened Win 10's OneNote again.... and the MRU file re-created itself!

Next I closed OneNote, went into OneDrive online (using the URL from the Documents_en-GB file) and deleted the test notebooks.... then I deleted the Documents_en-GB file and shortcut again.

When I re-opened OneNote I now only have the one (default) notebook... the second test notebook has gone from More Notebooks in OneNote and from the MRU file.

Note: This was a first for me, installing a store-based app. I'm not at all impressed by the zombie behaviour of OneNote notebooks. I still haven't found a way to delete the first notebook I created.

Update: In OneNote I right-clicked on the notebook title and chose Close. Then I closed OneNote and deleted the local MRU file (and .LNK file). When I re-opened OneNote... it was if I had installed it for the first time - no zombies!

onenote08.png
    Click to enlarge

Note: I looked in the other personal locations that Everything found (i.e. C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Packages\Microso ft.Office.OneNote_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalState\AppData \Local\OneNote) and found some bin files and a header file which I think may be the contents of the notebook(s).)

Hope this helps...

Thanks
    Rick, when I create a notebook in Onenote for 10 it creates it in onedrive\documents as an internet shortcut. You cannot delete this link on your PC. To delete it all you have to do is go to your online OneDrive and delete it there. Every time i did this, the notebooks disappeared from ON for 10. If you create a notebook in ON 201x then it puts it in OneDrive\documents\OneNote Notebooks. This can be deleted from your PC and it will disappear from ON 201x. The complication as far as I can see is mixing and matching. Every time I created a notebook in ON 201x, if I opened it in ON for 10 it offered to convert it. Then to delete it just go to inline onedrive as stated above. I've always had both versions of Onenote (my O365 gives me ON 2016) so once I worked out what was happening had no problem with deletions. I suspect, but don't actually know, that Chuck never had both on this PC together; whether this was causing his problem or not isn't clear.

Note that there is a way of exporting notebooks from ON for 10 - go online, right click on the link and export. Currently it creates a ON 201x file, in a zip (nothing's perfect) but that's easily opened in either of the apps anyway.

Is this ideal? No. But one hopes MS will sort it now they've announced ON 201x's replacement by ON for 10. Both versions seem equivalent in function, but then my use of them is pretty trivial.

I also used Everything to search for notebooks, but wasn't aware of the MRU files. Now I know what they do!
    Cartophilia rocks

Thanks
    access-mdb -I don't use OneNote nor store-based apps so this was just a voyage of discovery for me to see if I could work out what was happening for Chuck.

I understand what you're saying but cynical moi thinks the intent of the direction is just to lock OneNote users into MSA, the store and OneDrive. That's fine if you're happy with total dependency on MS' "cloud" services. However, recent outages (last month?) from many service providers showed that 'the cloud' (not just MS') is not particularly resilient. (I know from experience... my ISP had an increasing number of unscheduled outages last month at times which were really inconvenient. )

Thanks
    I think we've come to the same conclusions from different directions. I've not had any outages either from ISP or the cloud, but, yes, it's something we need to know to make a reasoned judgement (I think I pointed this out to Chuck some posts ago). There are other note taking apps out there, the most obvious one being Evernote. Here's someone's top 10 apps for example. As I said, my notebook usage is trivial - it's so I can have the same notes on my phone (and tablet) without having to open Word or similar, so losing them isn't a big issue for me, but it might be for other users. MS will have to improve the storage and backup of notes if they don't want to be overtaken by other apps.

We await Chuck's further comments!
    Cartophilia rocks

Thanks
    access-mdb / Rick / mngerhold et al...

This all started out so innocently! I initially had no raging need for ON, other that simple curiosity about it since it was part of my Office 2010. I had set up a series of notebooks in v2010 for some seminars I was taking. Coincidentally, this is a version of the same issue I have been mulling in deciding to go from my Office 2010 to Office 365. While the latter has many features, in effect turning over control to a not-local source left and leaves me a but unnerved.

As for OneNote, while it was included in my O-2010, I had never really delved into it as a reliable resource. Then since it was included in W-10, and as I already had notebooks created, and since I was/am considering moving to Office 365, I figured I should take a second look.

I then made what seemed at the time such an innocent decision -- to move my 2010 notebooks to W-10 ON. Next thing I knew was that I found myself HERE. Whether there was a different / better way to do this I will at this point never know. What I do know is that ON 2010 and ON W10 are not *truly* compatible beasts, else the transfer process would have been a lot less bother!

The one part of this that I find utterly amazing and in fact unacceptable is the inability -- let alone easily accomplished -- to truly delete files in ON W10. Yes, you delete the file,\ but the memories linger!

All this in effect leaves me right where I started: transfer over to ON W10, or remain with ON 2010 until it goes "gentle into that good night (Thanks D. Thomas!).

I can easily use W10 ON, As past or old notebooks containing any necessary material I can just r-enter into W10 but I want to be able to store everything locally. It seems that that is not now going to be the case with ON W10:

https://redmondmag.com/articles/2018...pp-ending.aspx.

I have another post where I was looking at storing files locally in my local OneDrive folder, which would solve my problem if it is in fact truly storing the notebook locally. It appeared, and appears that it is doing just that, but then, how does/will that figure into Redmond's plans (per the link)?
    Chuck Billow

Thanks
    I have no idea if these 2 links will help, so fwiw:

ON16 vs ON10

ON10 & ON16 Diffs
    Lugh.
    ~
    Dell Alienware Aurora R6; Win10 Home x64 1803; Office 365 x32
    i7-7700; GeForce GTX 1060; 16GB DDR4 2400; 2 x 256G SSD, 4TB HD

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CWBillow View Post
    This all started out so innocently!
    But now appears clear that MS' direction is solely 'cloud'-based (without any recognition of local storage). Good luck with that.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Corbett View Post
    now appears clear that MS' direction is solely 'cloud'-based
    From what I read in general tech, everyone & everything is going cloud, so MS would be stupid not to focus on the future. Most transport is there already, as is most comms, and general appliances are also starting down the same road.

Obviously MS's core market—business—has also been there for a while. However, I don't see business giving up on local anytime soon, which means the facility should remain—just buried below a bunch of 'go cloud' stuff.
    Lugh.
    ~
    Dell Alienware Aurora R6; Win10 Home x64 1803; Office 365 x32
    i7-7700; GeForce GTX 1060; 16GB DDR4 2400; 2 x 256G SSD, 4TB HD

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lugh View Post
    From what I read in general tech, everyone & everything is going cloud, so MS would be stupid not to focus on the future. Most transport is there already, as is most comms, and general appliances are also starting down the same road.

Obviously MS's core market—business—has also been there for a while. However, I don't see business giving up on local anytime soon, which means the facility should remain—just buried below a bunch of 'go cloud' stuff.
    I'm pleased that I haven't noted the same change to a single point of failure wirh macOS (yet?...) but this is wildly off-topic... so I'm not going to respond further.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234