3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

OS upgrade question

I have a Dell laptop which has an SSD drive to speed up booting. The OS is on a standard HDD. I have Win 7 HP and am considering an upgrade to Win 8.1. This PC boots up to desktop in around 45 seconds, but there is still a lot of disk activity for a couple of minutes. I do not find this an issue. If I were to do an upgrade, would the new OS also set up the SSD so that it would assist in the boot. I cannot see this drive in Explorer, Disk Management or Macrium Reflect. I believe I saw it once, but cannot remember how I got there. This PC is 5 years old and runs great. The potential move to 8.1 is to gain 4 more years of MS support and keep the PC running and avoid Win 10.

Thanks

Thanks
    So you have an SSD caching drive that uses Intel RST drivers, providing you install the latest RST drivers for the new OS after the upgrade there should be little, if any, performance degradation.

https://www.urtech.ca/2018/01/solved...echnology-rst/

3. The Following User Says Thank You to satrow For This Useful Post:

ldb (2019-01-09)

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,170 Times in 1,087 Posts
    You could just keep using W7 and make sure you run regular AV and malware scans - and don't use Internet Explorer. Also make regular backups, as you should for any OS.

cheers, Paul
    Last edited by Paul T; 2019-01-09 at 02:46.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

ldb (2019-01-09)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,656 Times in 1,488 Posts
    ldb,

May I ask why you don't have windows installed directly on the SSD? Is the SSD to small? IMHO you'd do yourself a favor to install the OS directly on the SSD.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG
    (still RetiredGeek on AskWoody.com)

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    RG nails the obvious question (and also the possible answer).

Zig

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I believe that this drive is not large enough to contain the OS. Satrow seems to have analyzed what I have. I do have Intel RST installed by Dell and would suspect that they would have put the OS on the SSD drive if it was possible to do so. I am still up in the air about doing an upgrade on this PC. I have a feeling that there will be non MS support for it once EOL is upon us.

Thanks
    How big are your drives? Open File Explorer, right-click on each hard drive / SSD and choose Properties. This will tell you how big each drive is, and it will tell us if the SSD is big enough to use as your primary OS drive for Windows 8.1. If it is not, then you should uninstall RST, do a clean install of Windows 8.1 on the hard drive, then reinstall RST.

(Of course, you should do a backup of your hard drive before proceeding with this. You should also make sure that you have written down all activation keys - e.g., Windows activation key, Microsoft Office activation key, etc. You will need these keys in order to reactivate your software after doing a clean install of Windows and then reinstalling the software.)

RST makes a regular hard drive work almost as fast as an SSD, because the SSD works with the hard drive. Drive writes are always faster. However, drive reads may not always be faster, because RST has to predict what you want to read and then copy it to the SSD so that it will be ready and waiting for you to read it. This prediction process is not always accurate, and for this reason reads are not always faster with RST than if you had only a standard hard drive.

Update: I reread your original post. Upon further reflection, you should probably do an upgrade install of Windows 8.1, rather than a clean install of Windows 8.1. An upgrade install will preserve just about everything which is currently on the drive, including your data and all of your installed software. A clean install would give you a better result; but it is a much more complex process if you want to preserve your data and your installed programs. If you are sure that you know what you are doing, then do the clean install of Windows 8.1. If you aren't absolutely sure about how to successfully do the process, then go with the upgrade install. Of course, if you have nothing to preserve but your data, make a copy of your data, do a clean install, then copy your data back to the hard drive.

No matter which way you decide to go (upgrade install or clean install of Windows 8.1), you should first do a backup of your hard drive, then uninstall RST. Then proceed with the install of Windows 8.1.
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2019-01-09 at 09:35.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

ldb (2019-01-09)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Here is a pic of the RST I have:
    RST.jpg

The version is 11.2 and appears to be old as the newest version is 16. I ran the Intel drivers and support assistant and it told me that my system was up to date.

Thanks
    32 GB is not a big enough drive to use as your Windows primary drive. I would keep it just like they have it set up now - use the SSD as the RST drive, which will help a lot on speed, although not as much as if you had a bigger SSD as your primary Windows drive.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, the 30 GB size was already stuck in the back of my head somewhere so I already knew that the drive used for OS was a no go. Just wondering if I should install the newer version of RST.

Thanks
    You will probably gain more speed on reads with the newer version of RST, because Intel has probably improved the prediction process in the newer version. I would go with the newer version.