Thanks

Microsoft: Windows 10 to grab 7GB of your storage so big updates don't fail

As Microsoft warned ahead of the Windows 10 October 2018 Update, systems that don't have enough space to install Microsoft's 'quality updates' or new versions of the OS will see an error message explaining there is insufficient storage space.

That happens because Windows doesn't check if a device has enough space before initializing. Microsoft's current solution is for users to manually delete unnecessary temporary files and temporarily move important files like photos and videos to external storage devices to make enough space for the update.

This problem is more acute for devices with little storage capacity, such as many of the cheap 32GB flash-drive PCs on the market today.
    https://www.zdnet.com/article/micros...tes-dont-fail/

Thanks
    Thanked 1,653 Times in 1,487 Posts
    Lumpy,

Interesting! I'm on Build 18309 vs 18298 in the article and I don't get the "Reserved Storage" info:
    System And Reserved.JPG

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG
    (still RetiredGeek on AskWoody.com)

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,245 Times in 1,078 Posts
    From the article:

"The feature is enabled automatically on devices that ship with Windows 10 version 1903 and on clean installs of 1903."

If you have a preview build of 19H1 now you can enable this by making a registry change. See How to Enable Reserved Storage in Windows 10 19H1 for details.
    Joe

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

lumpy95 (2019-01-09),RetiredGeek (2019-01-09)

Thanks
    If you are going to run Windows 10 (latest release of it), this is a good thing. This will keep the normal Windows 10 processes from failing. And if you think about it, 7GB is not very much disk space in this day and time, that is, unless you have one of the new, low-priced Windows 10 machines that have barely enough drive space to use Windows 10, let alone enough space to allow for Windows updates.

I'm not sure what possessed these computer vendors to think that a 32GB SSD was all that was needed for a Windows 10 computer. If regular folks realized that that is simply not enough drive space, they would either not buy them or sue to get their money back if they have already bought them.

Thanks
    "You can reduce the amount of space required for reserved storage on your device by uninstalling optional features you are not using," explains Microsoft. However it doesn't say by how much.
    It is unconscionable to expect a regular user to have to go through all of that just to be able to use their new Windows 10 computer.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

lumpy95 (2019-01-09)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    And if you think about it, 7GB is not very much disk space in this day and time, that is, unless you have one of the new, low-priced Windows 10 machines that have barely enough drive space to use Windows 10, let alone enough space to allow for Windows updates.

I'm not sure what possessed these computer vendors to think that a 32GB SSD was all that was needed for a Windows 10 computer. If regular folks realized that that is simply not enough drive space, they would either not buy them or sue to get their money back if they have already bought them.
    These are probably ideal devices on which to try a flavour of Linux. But grossly overpriced, since the manufacturers have to pay for the Windows 10 licence...
    BATcher

If it goes right, nobody remembers;
    if it goes wrong, nobody forgets.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BATcher View Post
    These are probably ideal devices on which to try a flavour of Linux. But grossly overpriced, since the manufacturers have to pay for the Windows 10 licence...
    Of course they would be excellent Linux devices. But they are being sold as Windows 10 devices. And the warranty may be voided if the customer installs Linux as the OS.

Here is one such device, an HP Stream:
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/HP-Stream...17wm/152221770

$129 - great price. But the small hard drive makes it almost unusable as a Windows 10 device. But it would be great as a Linux device.

Thanks
    I bought an HP Stream 11 about a couple of years ago in a sale at about £80. Having added a 32 GB memory card, it requires some little work to get enough space free on the C: drive to allow Windows Updates to, well, update. v1809 handles this lack-of-free-space much better than before, telling you exactly how much you need to free up.
    BATcher

If it goes right, nobody remembers;
    if it goes wrong, nobody forgets.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BATcher View Post
    I bought an HP Stream 11 about a couple of years ago in a sale at about £80. Having added a 32 GB memory card, it requires some little work to get enough space free on the C: drive to allow Windows Updates to, well, update. v1809 handles this lack-of-free-space much better than before, telling you exactly how much you need to free up.
    Does the 32GB memory card help out for normal Windows usage, or just for when updates are happening?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    Does the 32GB memory card help out for normal Windows usage, or just for when updates are happening?
    It depends on what you call normal I guess. For instance, I relocated the Documents, Pictures, and Videos folders to my granddaughter's memory card and it has updated without complaints ever since. (You can also plug in a flash drive for additional storage.)

Here's the memory card I added to her Stream. (Hers was originally windows 8 but has now been Windows 10 for more than a couple of years).

AL_mem_sm.jpg

Note that hers is a 64GB card (requiring an adapter).
    Last edited by RockE; 2019-01-09 at 21:22. Reason: clarification
    Clone or Image often! Backup, backup, backup, backup...
    - - - - -
    Home Built System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit, AMD Athlon II X3 435 CPU, 16GB DDR3 RAM, ASUSTeK M4A89GTD-PRO/USB3 (AM3) motherboard, 512GB SanDisk SSD, 3 TB WD HDD, 1024MB ATI AMD RADEON HD 6450 video, ASUS VE278 (1920x1080) display, ATAPI iHAS224 Optical Drive, integrated Realtek High Definition Audio

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    From the article:
    If you have a preview build of 19H1 now you can enable this by making a registry change. See How to Enable Reserved Storage in Windows 10 19H1 for details.
    Joe,

Changed HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Res erveManager\ShippedWithReserves = 1
    Rebooted
    No change in what I see.

FYI: Now on 18312.

HTH

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Thanks
    When I did the 1809 upgrade (the second release) I didn't quite have enough room in my OS partition, but the installation routine was kind enough to tell me how much room I needed. I was only shy a couple hundred MB, and it was a fairly simple matter to clean up.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,245 Times in 1,078 Posts
    There is a quest in the Feedback Hub to enable this. The quest says after making the registry change when you upgrade to the next build you will be using reserved storage.

I do not know if an upgrade is required. It shows on mine after installing 18392 but I changed the registry before the install. It could be the Softpedia article was not correct saying that only a reboot is required.

This article + comments provide more insight - Windows 10 and reserved storage

Storage.png
    Joe

Thanks
    Joe,

Ok, I'll test when next build comes down the line. Thanks!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs