New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows XP install cd issues

So, I have an install disk for windows xp professional sp-2 but I didn't have it in a case. Instead, it was in a cd folder thing, and on the back of it was the supposed product key. Not on the standard label but just on the back. When I am reinstalling the os the key doesn't work. So I did some digging on the cd and found that a different key was bound to the cd, so I tried that but that didn't work either. I don't know what I should do, I need this computer working with this specific os for a program. If anyone could help that would be appreciated. Also if you have any more questions, ask away.

Thanks
    Microsoft has never tied an installation CD to a Product Key in any version of Windows! For a specific version of Windows, all the installation CDs are identical.

Your problem is presumably that the Product Key you have is invalid.

I would search to see if there's a way to install XP for a trial period of 30 days without needing to supply a product key...
    BATcher

If it goes right, nobody remembers;
    if it goes wrong, nobody forgets.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Do you know where I could get a working iso then? I've tried several but they have all been missing the EULA and wouldn't work.

Thanks
    I don't understand what you mean by an ISO "missing the EULA"... All installation CDs for (say) Windows 7 Pro 32-bit SP3 will have identical files thereon, burned from the equivalent ISO.
    BATcher

If it goes right, nobody remembers;
    if it goes wrong, nobody forgets.

Thanks
    Windows XP disks, unlike later versions of Windows, were certainly not identical; for example, XP Pro was different from XP Home and weren't interchangeable. Also, a Retail version wasn't interchangeable with an OEM version. But within each category, all disks were identical; no disk was ever tied to a product key, so for example, any XP Pro OEM disk would work for any XP Pro OEM product key.

However...unless I'm reading you wrongly, OP, your disk is good because you can install Windows with it; you merely can't activate. In short, you have a disk, you have a key, but the two don't match. This means you only get a month of use before reinstalling.

So here's a little questionnaire:

1. Is the disk a retail version or OEM? If OEM, go to 2.
    2. Is there a sticker on the machine? Is it XP Pro? If yes, use the key on the machine.

If it's retail, you are, as we say in the UK, stuffed, unless you can find the correct key. Sorry.

Thanks
    Alex

You don't have to input the product Key during the install process. You can opt to decline to progress the install.
    You will get 30 days to address the activation.

When you are up and running, you can either search for Microsoft's free activation phone No, speak to a human, and hope your explanation of circumstance is accepted to get a working number from them, or, as Windows XP is ridiculously easy to active with a few actions, if your conscience will allow, use your favourite Search Engine to research the scenario to progress.