New Lounger
    Thanks

How to change / remove password from XP

I have an old XP machine that is locked with admin password, I tried safe mode, using a disk to boot, but it asks for password before opening the command prompt. I pulled the drive and put it in another machine, but I canít figure out how to get the command prompt to affect the second drive. When I changed the drive and tried ę net user administrator password Ľ it added an administrator password to the machine Iím using, but didnít change the password on the drive Iím trying to change. Any help would be appreciated.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,156 Times in 1,077 Posts
    There are plenty of answers if you do a search on the web.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Iíve tried every way I could find an explanation for, they worked to get me into the four other machines I got at the a thrift shop so I could reset them to factory settings or wipe all the photos and documents. I just canít find a way that works for this machine. If I had a copy of XP media center edition Id just reinstall, but I donít have one.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Since we do not know if you are who you say you are, there is not much more that can be said.

The best thing to do on any USED machine is to do a clean install of the OS.
    Get yourself a XP CD, go for it.
    It needs to be of the same type Home or Pro that is listed on the sticker on the side of each machine.

EDIT:
    go to https://www.lifewire.com/where-can-i...ows-xp-2626357
    Last edited by DaveA; 2019-01-12 at 11:48. Reason: Added link

Now running Windows 10 64 Bit OS.
    I am so far behind, I think I am First

Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

Thanks
    Thanked 1,038 Times in 826 Posts
    Asking for help to remove passwords is contrary to the forum's rules.

Please read forum rule 23.

Thanks
    I would have thought that any help/assistance in any shape or form was frowned upon when a password is in the equation.
    If someone steals say a laptop and can’t access it because of the login password, he/she then comes into the forum posing as a naÔve Father or Mother and asks for help/assistance to recover their Sons/Daughters login password so he/she can help their kids (sell it easier), is that OK?
    Of course it’s not but how do you tell the difference from reading a post that a request for help is genuine or not?

Perhaps Rule 23 should be amended again?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I finally found a way that worked, I understand why you guys donít want to help, I was frustrated after trying so many ways and not being able to make it work. Normally I try to get in the machine and delete info and then reset, after saving drivers for graphics card/sound cards to a disk. If I had a copy of XP media center I would have just reinstalled because it was taking to much time, but I only have home edition and professional. Iím not terribly tech savvy and just started picking them while thrift store shopping for as a learning project about a year and half ago. Before that I never even opened my computers. Now I just have to get into the Windows 8 machine I got for $5 from Habitat for Humanity yesterday.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    What do you do with the machines once they are running?
    Have you tried making a disk backup then running Linux?

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Iíd estimate around 2/3ís if them I strip down into parts. I prefer to get them running first so I know what works and what doesnít. I sell some of them either eBay or locally through OfferUp / Letgo. I keep some and play older games like Might and Magic. The Windows 8 Machine I will use so i can leave my 8 yr old laptop in my workspace and set up this where our printer is located. I sell on eBay anyway, but selling these things isnít particularly profitable especially since it takes me more time than it should to fiddle with them.

Most of the machines I get are bottom of the barrel, cheapest computer on the market type of thing, but some are worth selling like this morning I did a Compaq Presario 8000z which might be worth listing. The motherboard is a Quik silver2-CMT (why they are listed so high on eBay I donít know) but that means someone will probably want it. The power supply was dead so I switched that, then it didnít boot so I replaced the one 256mb ram with 2 that I knew worked and that got it going.

I havenít tried Linux, before I started doing this I was the guy who bought the cheapest computer and pitched it out the minute it had a problem. So Iíve learned a bit, but itís a slow process.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Good to see you're learning to fix them, much more satisfying than buying new.
    As always, we are here to help.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, I will definitely need it. It is oddly satisfying and strangely addicting. I picked up a HP 486 dx4 this morning that was still plugged into the phone line, came with a stack of games so if it runs Iíll be playing Wizardy and Wolfenstein 3D for a while.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dead Robot View Post
    Thanks, I will definitely need it. It is oddly satisfying and strangely addicting. I picked up a HP 486 dx4 this morning that was still plugged into the phone line, came with a stack of games so if it runs Iíll be playing Wizardy and Wolfenstein 3D for a while.
    I have an 80386/33MHz, 80386/40MHz and an 80486/25MHz/75MHz OverDrive that work but the batteries on the motherboard are leaking, won't save CMOS settings but they are just new enough to properly recognize the hard drives. They have MS-DOS with Windows 3.xx.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,038 Times in 826 Posts
    Sorry folks but thread was contrary to revised WSL rules and has now gone off-topic as well.

Thread now closed.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

satrow (2019-01-15)