3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Back lit keyboard for Dell Vostro 5568

I purchased a Dell Vostro 5568 (7th Gen Intel Core i7-7500U Processor, running Win 10) laptop last month and I was pleased to know I would finally have one with a back lit keyboard. However, the keyboard only stays lit for approximately 15 seconds before going off if not constantly in use. Is there a way to change the setting to have the keyboard stay lit constantly? I understand a drain on the battery could be an issue, but I only use the laptop at home and am able to plug it in when it gets low. There is no "Press F2" for setup while it boots. Thanks for any help!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm assuming Windows 10. If fast startup is enabled, boot options don't show while booting. Settings, system, power & sleep, additional power settings, choose what the power buttons do

Mark

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Don't know about Dells [none of mine have it] but I have an HP Envy 17" that uses the F5 key to toggle the backlight On or Off, probably a hardware thing.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,073 Times in 850 Posts
    I have a Dell Latitude E7450 with backlit keyboard and this was a pain for me too. Unfortunately the Function+F10 toggle showed the keyboard has 3 states - off, dim and bright... but nothing to adjust the delay.

I looked in the BIOS/UEFI and confirmed that there is no way to adjust this whilst the laptop is on battery.
    dell_keyboard01.png
    Click to enlarge

However, whilst on mains power, there IS a setting to keep the backlight on all the time - using whatever state (dim or bright) that the Fn+F10 toggle is set to.
    dell_keyboard02.png
    Click to enlarge

Hope this helps... and apologies for the dreadful quality of the photos.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Okay, I don't want to appear clueless, but I don't know how to access that screen on my laptop. I know I've stumbled across it before but not sure where to find it now.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by k32rem View Post
    Okay, I don't want to appear clueless, but I don't know how to access that screen on my laptop. I know I've stumbled across it before but not sure where to find it now.
    Press F2 when you see the Dell boot logo. You may have to disable Fast Startup (but, if you've seen the screen before, it sounds like it's already disabled).

Hope this helps...

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, I guess I've seen the screen before on my other laptop because I don't see the Dell boot logo. How do I disable Fast Startup?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by k32rem View Post
    Well, I guess I've seen the screen before on my other laptop because I don't see the Dell boot logo. How do I disable Fast Startup?
    To disable Fast Startup:

1. Go to Start > Control Panel > Power Options.
    2. Click Choose what the power buttons do in the left-hand pane.
    3. Scroll down to Shutdown settings and uncheck the box for Turn on fast startup.
    4. Click the Save changes button to apply the changes then carry out a Shutdown.

Hope this helps... .

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

k32rem (2019-02-08)