Thanks

Chrome tabs in titlebar

Somewhere in the last few releases, Chrome started putting the tabs in the Windows titlebar. I don't like this and find it annoying. Is there an option, add-on or hack somewhere to put the tabs back in a browser menu bar?

Google Chrome Tabs in Titlebar - 2019-02-04.png

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,165 Times in 1,083 Posts
    I don't remember a time when the tabs weren't at the top. It's the way I expect tabs to show.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    I don't remember a time when the tabs weren't at the top. It's the way I expect tabs to show.

cheers, Paul
    Seriously? With 9000+ posts here and being a VIP, you REALLY expect tabs to be shown in the Windows titlebar????

You do understand that the Windows titlebar is for displaying and communicating information, such as a file name, page name, or for instance as you can see in my screenshot, showing the current date and time.

Plus, this doesn't work very well if you have more than a few tabs open. You can see in my screenshot how just the few I have open are getting scrunched and unreadable. Meanwhile, ove rin my FF borwser, I have 50 tabs open and I can easily ID all of them because my tabs are in a Tab Mix+ bar.

Putting the tabs in the titlebar was some dumbo Google programmers idea to gain another 25 pixels of screen space on their smart phone.

Thanks
    Like Paul I'm a dumbo as well - never seen the tabs anywhere else - even in FF. Personally, I have no problem with this, but you obviously do. Have you Googled? I have but I can't find anything about this issue. I can't find anything in in settings (in both FF and Chrome) to help, though there is a setting in Palemoon which allows you to move the tabs to underneath the bookmark menu. Perhaps you could use Palemoon.
    Cartophilia rocks

Thanks
    I'm smarter than the average dumbo, Boo-Boo—I have tabs not on the title bar in IE11, so there!

Opera & Edge tabs are on the title bar.

just the few I have open are getting scrunched and unreadable. Meanwhile, ove rin my FF borwser, I have 50 tabs open and I can easily ID all of them because my tabs are in a Tab Mix+ bar
    There's very likely an extension for Chrome which allows a vertical 'menu' of tabs—I remember testing one out in Opera, which mostly uses the Chrome extension set.

I don't bother with it though. I prefer to just open another browser window when the current tab bar gets too cluttered.
    Lugh.
    ~
    Dell Alienware Aurora R6; Win10 Home x64 1803; Office 365 x32
    i7-7700; GeForce GTX 1060; 16GB DDR4 2400; 2 x 256G SSD, 4TB HD

Thanks
    I primarily use FF & PM and the extension Tab Mix Plus in both of those. I also am using older versions of these browsers so I can keep using TMP tabs as unsure if the developer managed to port this extension to the newer releases of FF.

I generally use Chrome and Edge (which I think Microsoft has said is going to die and be replaced by Chrome) when something doesn't work in the other browsers due to my ad-blocking, script blocking or whatever.

I don't know how long tabs have been in Chrome's titlebar but based on this article, it looks like something that Google stole from Apple originally (typical, sigh).

The article below also mentions one other function for the title bar that I forgot to mention above - the title bar is also used to drag windows around.

===========
    Tabs in the title bar: a UI design trend that needs to go
    https://www.engadget.com/2009/02/26/...t-needs-to-go/
    ===========

IMO, sticking tabs in the title bar is a corruption of the intended UI design. And it doesn't work well when you use multiple browser windows with more than a few tabs open. In my perfect world, there should be an option to REMOVE tabs from the title bar and put them in a proper [expandable] tab bar. I don't need the extra 25 or whatever pixels that are saved for the browser window by sticking tabs in the title bar.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ibe98765 View Post
    Edge (which I think Microsoft has said is going to die and be replaced by Chrome)
    Edge is going to die, the replacement will not be Chrome but rather based on the Chromium engine—so MS's custom version of Chrome.

the title bar is also used to drag windows around
    Yeah, clunky workaround is click the Restore icon first if you don't have free space on the title bar.

In my perfect world, there should be an option to REMOVE tabs from the title bar and put them in a proper [expandable] tab bar
    I agree, it's odd no browser seems to have a flexible tab system built in. I must have another look in the Chrome extensions, because with a wide screen the natural place to put tabs is on the side. I just didn't like whatever ones I looked at ~2 years ago.
    Lugh.
    ~
    Dell Alienware Aurora R6; Win10 Home x64 1803; Office 365 x32
    i7-7700; GeForce GTX 1060; 16GB DDR4 2400; 2 x 256G SSD, 4TB HD

Thanks
    Sometime back, I looked for something in Chrome that matched Tab Mix Plus in Chrome but found nothing.

Wish Google developers would focus on adding meaningful function, instead of eye candy and BS UI enhancements to hiding as many control elements as possible.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ibe98765 For This Useful Post:

wavy (2019-02-11)