New Lounger
    Thanks

Office 365 never updates after downloading updates in background

I'm running Windows 1809 and have Office 365 Home installed as part of a 5 user subscription. When I open Excel or Word I usually get a prompt that an update is available and do I want to install? I click Yes and it starts to download in the background. But I never see any indication that any actual update was done. What can I do to fix this?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You need to go to File, Office Account, Office Updates

Now running Windows 10 64 Bit OS.
    I am so far behind, I think I am First

Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
    You need to go to File, Office Account, Office Updates
    Yes. But when I go there and then under Update Options I click Update Now, the same sequence happens: I get a progress bar saying Checking For Updates, then a dialog box asking if I want to download. When I click Yes, I get a progress bar saying Downloading Office Updates. Then another dialog box saying Updates Are Available, Do You Want To Start Downloading Now? I say Yes and nothing happens. So still not updated.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    When the download finishes it will want to install, but this is not possible if any Office program is running. Usually you get a warning to quit any such program so that the install can proceed, but this seems to be not working. I suggest that as soon as the download starts, you quit out of whichever program (Excel, Word, whatever) that brought it on. The download will proceed regardless, and then just maybe it will go on to do the install. I don't know about multiple users, but perhaps if another user has an Office program running at the same time, it could also prevent the install?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    If you have version 1901 Build 11231.20130 then you are up to date.

can you post a screen shot of this message that there are Office updates?

Now running Windows 10 64 Bit OS.
    I am so far behind, I think I am First

Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The version number can be seen in File > Office Account > About. There was an update today which took me up to 1901.11231.20174.

As you are not seeing the correct sequence of prompts following a download, you could consider doing an "Office Repair". This is via Control Panel > Programs and Features, and find "Microsoft Office 365" on the list. Right-click it and select "Change". You will be given the options of "Quick Repair" and "Online Repair". Try the quick one first, as this is just a local fix. The online one is a complete re-download and re-install of Office 365, takes a while, and you would probably lose any customised settings. You can get to the same point via Settings > Apps > Apps & features, find "Microsoft Office 365" on the list, click on it and select "Modify".
    Last edited by Bundaburra; 2019-02-12 at 21:48.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the suggestion about using the control panel to do a change. I did the online change which installed new versions. I was on version 16.0.11029.20045; now on version 16.0.11231.20164.