New Lounger
    Thanks

Insert Page Numbers issue

2 x Windows Server 2012 R2 servers in an RDS environment
    Office 2013 published suite.

We currently have a problem with Word 2013 and Page Number insertions for users...in the fact that they can't insert page numbers!
    On the RDS servers we have (in the publishing section) Command-line parameters set to: Always use the following command-line parameters: /a
    Which means...i think that it's stopping the addon of the process of inserting of page numbers to be allowed to run

We want to keep this switch with the small compromise of allowing page numbers to be inserted. Has anyone else had this issue...?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I think you need to establish the link here. You are asserting that the /a parameter removes the ability to insert page numbers. Based upon what, exactly?

I looked up the /a parameter and it isn't supposed to do anything like that.

Until you make this connection in a definitive way, this is little more than speculation and a potential red herring.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your reply. I am not sure what to do to combat the issue...though. Any suggestions?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well yeah. Remove the /a parameter, then attempt to add page numbers!

If you still cannot add page numbers (as I suspect you will find) then the issue is caused by something else.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    What are the ramifications of removing the /a parameter? Is it a major deal breaker? Do Sys Admins do that out there in companies?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I wasn't able to find proper documentation for the /a parameter. What I was able to gather was that it puts the Standard.DOT template into de-facto Read-Only mode, so no user can change it. At least that seemed to be the gist of it.

None of this matters though. You need to be doing a test, so removing the /a parameter is something you will be doing for 5 minutes, max. You put it back as soon as your test is complete, regardless of the result.

The purpose here is to establish that the /a parameter has anything at all to do with the behavior you don't like. It isn't to disrupt your business environment; nor is it to remove the /a parameter. It's a test of a hypothesis. We can't even begin to rationally discuss the /a parameter any further without this information.