5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Question How do I move the Notebooks file in OneNote?

My current Notebooks file is under C:/.../User/Ron/ . It is getting very big and I need more space on my C drive where it is currently located. How can I move the "notebook" file, the one with all the notes in it and tell OneNote where the new location is? I want to move it to a new drive where there is plenty of room for it to grow. Any insight that anyone would care to provide will be greatly appreciated. TIA.

Ron M

Thanks
    Which version of OneNote?
    Cartophilia rocks

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Version14.0.7214.5000 running under Windows 10 Pro.

Thanks
    That is OneNote 2010 I believe. I think the location is the same as OneNote2016 so the file is in users/Ron/onenote notebooks (I think that's the folder). I think all you have to do is copy the notebook to the new drive, then open Onenote and click 'open other notebooks', either under file or the dropdown symbol by the notebook name at top left. Then navigate to the new location and add it. Once you are satisfied that you have the new notebook (I would rename the new one in some way before opening it so as to be sure which notebook you're looking at), you need to close the old one then delete it from your c drive.

Note that OneDrive 2016 and before are no longer being supported by MS and have been replaced with OneNote for Windows 10. This has a completely different way of saving data.
    Cartophilia rocks

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    access-mdb, thanks for the instructions. I will give it a try and see what happens.

Ron M

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    access-mdb, I found the location of the existing Notebook file and I moved it to another drive, but I could not find a command that allowed me to "open other notebooks". I can find a set of instructions under File>New that allowed me to create a new Notebook file, but nothing to open a notebook at a new location. When I try to find the new (moved) Notebooks file, the <OPEN> instruction seems to be looking for something called "OneNote Table of Contents". So now I must confess to being a bit confused.

Ron M

Thanks
    Should be under file/open - go to 'This PC' and navigate from there. I have ON 2016, I'm assuming ON2010 is similar. Here's what it looks like in 2016 if you do it the other way from the Notebook name (mine is the imaginatively named Notebook 1.) Click on the little triangle to its right.

on.PNG

I think I might have misled you using File - sorry.
    Cartophilia rocks

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    access-mdb, that did not seem to work, or I didn't follow your instructions properly. All that happened was that, all my Notebook Headings were converted to Section Headings, so now my original Notebooks are a bit of a mess, to say the least. I want to know why this happened and if there is anyway to get back the original Notebook structure without having to rebuild it one Notebook at a time. I guess I can do that if I have to, but I am not sure I even no where to begin.

Ron M

Thanks
    It may be that ON 2010 is different to ON 2016. I hope you copied the notebook file - you can revert to the original if you did (and I recommended that anyway). I'm afraid I can't help you on why it changed the structure. Perhaps something to do with the size.
    Cartophilia rocks

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron M View Post
    my Notebook Headings were converted to Section Headings
    Ron, just to confirm / clarify: what you mean by 'Headings' are the title of each page within a section, is that correct?
    Lugh.
    ~
    Dell Alienware Aurora R6; Win10 Home x64 1803; Office 365 x32
    i7-7700; GeForce GTX 1060; 16GB DDR4 2400; 2 x 256G SSD, 4TB HD

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    On my Windows 7 machine which I have One Note 2010, if I go to File, there I will see Info, Open, New and the other standard entries.
    Click Open, and there you should see "Open from other location" and below that is the Browse option.
    Then you should be able work yourself to this other drive and folders.

Now running Windows 10 64 Bit OS.
    I am so far behind, I think I am First

Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living