Thanks

Trying to identify a device.

I have a device on my network called "Pegatron". As it turns out, they're a huge Chinese company that makes all kinds of electronic and multimedia devices. The MAC address confirms Pegatron, but little else. I can identify everything else. Computer, smartphones, TV, modem, etc. Does anyone have any ideas on how to identify what this device might be? The only other two devices that I can think of is our Sony "smart" DVD, and our new "smart" Samsung washing machine. But I assume their MAC addresses would identify as Sony and Samsung respectively.

P.S. I don't get any response from a "ping" command. (I assume it's just "ping <mac address>) Pinging the IP times out also.

P.S.S I forgot about my garage door opener. That might be the other device. It works, but I can't "ping" it.
    Last edited by Artie; 2019-02-26 at 18:56.

Thanks
    I never thought of it before but I don't believe you can ping a MAC address in windows. You may need to disconnect, say half of what is online and see if the mystery device is still connected. If so disconnect another half. If not reconnect a quarter of you devices and see. and so on...
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    All of the devices that are identified, (TV, phone, etc.,) pinged just fine. But yeah, your idea may help to find the "mystery" device. It's amazing how many wifi devices we actually have. I've already thought of three more. Our Genie Direct TV box, washing machine, sous-vide cooker, and another DVD in the bedroom. (Oops. That's four.)

Thanks
    Well . . . it isn't the garage door. That just showed up and pings fine.

Thanks
    I'm an idiot! The device is my desktop computer. I ruled it out because it's hardwired to the router. But apparently, it still has wifi capability. Pegatron must be who made the wifi card and/or chip on the motherboard.

Thanks
    Try looking through the output from HWiNFO on your PC, which tells you more than you ever needed to know about your PC's hardware!
    BATcher

If it goes right, nobody remembers;
    if it goes wrong, nobody forgets.

Thanks
    You're right. It does show more than I know. But it also looks like a good learning tool. Lotsa "googling" to do.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Artie View Post
    I'm an idiot! The device is my desktop computer. I ruled it out because it's hardwired to the router. But apparently, it still has wifi capability. Pegatron must be who made the wifi card and/or chip on the motherboard.
    Yes, some later Desktop computers are coming with both Ethernet and Wireless adapters, my 2.5 year old ASUS included a PCIe X1 Add-in card [I removed it in favor of something else] and an HP Pavilion has a Wireless card in its own socket on the motherboard. A client's new HP All-in-One also has both.
    "Inasmuch as God limited the intelligence of man, it seems unfair he did not also limit his stupidity." Konrad Adenauer
    Isn't this a Beautiful Day, just watch some bastard louse it up.