Star Lounger
    Thanks

mozy to carbonite conversion

anybody else in the process of getting converted from Mozy to Carbonite cloud backup? (Carbonite purchased Mozy and is converting all the Mozy accounts to Carbonite.)

so far i'm not very impressed. the Carbonite software got installed without even asking permission or even alerting me that it was going to be installed. just showed up one day on my desktop. couple days later i got an email telling me what was going on, and when i checked my Carbonite account my backup parameters were totally wrong. they had just set me up with the default settings (C:\Users) -- but i don't even use that folder, but instead use other drive letters for all my files. so i got that changed and it's now in the process of doing the initial backup.

there's also no indication on my control panel as to what my data limit is. i dug around some on the carbonite web site and it looks like the plan that i am on has a limit of twice what i had for Mozy, but it's also twice as expensive. so i'm guessing that when it comes time to re-new the new rate will kick in. with things going the way they are, i'm also guessing i won't renew and will be looking for another service!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lhite View Post
    i won't renew and will be looking for another service!
    It's 2 years since I looked into this, but here are my notes fwiw:

Google Drive provides 15gig
    MS OneDrive 5gig
    Asus WebStorage 5gig
    Dropbox 2gig
    Apple iCloud 5gig
    Box 10gig

There are loads of others, those are just the names I recognize as the most reliable. If you have decent upload speeds, you could even use 2 such places, backing up to each alternately—that way a company disappearing shouldn't leave you hanging.

Do consider how and how quickly you could retrieve your files if you need to. If you could need them urgently, then you need a place which will eg copy to a HD and overnight it to you.

I'm pretty sure the above limits are all for free accounts, so you can usually get more if you pay.
    Lugh.
    ~
    Dell Alienware Aurora R6; Win10 Home x64 1803; Office 365 x32
    i7-7700; GeForce GTX 1060; 16GB DDR4 2400; 2 x 256G SSD, 4TB HD

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Lugh -- thanks for the list. i'm paid thru the end of the year, so unless things go really bad, i won't be worrying about it for a while. FYI, on Mozy i had 125GB for $110/yr. the plan i got converted to on Carbonite apparently is 250GB for $290/yr.

also i should note that i'm pretty anal when it comes to backup. i backup locally with nightly differential backups, weekly full backups, and keep a one year history of those. then i do quarterly full backups which i keep on a separate drive, and keep those forever. so the cloud backup is just a last resort type of thing. but i do use it occasionally for remote access.

Thanks
    FYI, on Mozy i had 125GB for $110/yr. the plan i got converted to on Carbonite apparently is 250GB for $290/yr … the cloud backup is just a last resort type of thing
    Fyi you get 1,000GB storage included in an Office 365 subscription, for much less than those prices.

Details
    Last edited by Lugh; 2019-03-02 at 19:24. Reason: change 'with' to 'included in'
    Lugh.
    ~
    Dell Alienware Aurora R6; Win10 Home x64 1803; Office 365 x32
    i7-7700; GeForce GTX 1060; 16GB DDR4 2400; 2 x 256G SSD, 4TB HD

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    anybody else in the process of getting converted from Mozy to Carbonite cloud backup? (Carbonite purchased Mozy and is converting all the Mozy accounts to Carbonite.)

so far i'm not very impressed. the Carbonite software got installed without even asking permission or even alerting me that it was going to be installed. just showed up one day on my desktop. couple days later i got an email telling me what was going on, and when i checked my Carbonite account my backup parameters were totally wrong. they had just set me up with the default settings (C:\Users) -- but i don't even use that folder, but instead use other drive letters for all my files. so i got that changed and it's now in the process of doing the initial backup.

there's also no indication on my control panel as to what my data limit is. i dug around some on the carbonite web site and it looks like the plan that i am on has a limit of twice what i had for Mozy, but it's also twice as expensive. so i'm guessing that when it comes time to re-new the new rate will kick in. with things going the way they are, i'm also guessing i won't renew and will be looking for another service!
    I've been a Mozy user for many years; one of the things that attracted me to it is that it was provided by EMC, the same vendor we used for our mainframe disks, so I figured it would be a quality product. It's had its ups and downs but it's generally been trouble-free. I've got the 50GB plan (I think it costs me just under $6/month) which is more than sufficient for me. If/when Carbonite messes this up, I'll start looking for another solution. I do my own daily local backups but having offsite backup adds an extra level of comfort.

Rob

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    well i continue to be unimpressed with Carbonite. today i received an email from Carbonite telling me my Mozy Home Free account would be deleted on April 15 if i don't upgrade to a paid Carbonite account. i upgraded my Mozy free account to a paid account several months ago -- so there's apparently some issues in dealing with the existing Mozy accounts. will be interesting to see if my paid account survives the April 15 date.

also of interest -- i received three copies of this same email. something seems to be wrong with their mail processing system.

and one other side note -- the carbonite conversion has now been in process for over a week (rather than simply copying the Mozy files to a Carbonite account they are completely re-uploading all my files). i do have 100GB of data so i understand that it will take some time -- but after a week, it's only 74% done. and i've been out of town the last four days, so Carbonite has had pretty much 100% of the processor/bandwidth to it's self. pretty sure the initial Mozy upload didn't take near this long.