Lounger
    Thanks

Unhappy Where are my missing contacts?

I am using Microsoft Office 365 on a stand-alone home computer, running Windows 10 Pro. I know that there are some contacts stored in Outlook that do not show up in my Contacts list or any place else. Here is how I figured this out:
    I opened an email in my Sent Items folder that I sent to a recipient; I right-click on his name in the To: field and select "Edit Contact"; the Contact card opens with the person's name and email address, even though I do not find his name in my list of Contacts, or anywhere else I look. And if I click on Save and Close, the contact card closes, but it does not save his information in my Contact list -- or anywhere else that I can find. This occurs with several "contacts." Am I missing something or doing something wrong? I'd appreciate any suggestions or help.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Not familiar with the last couple of versions of Office/Outlook but older versions could Import the Contacts in C:\Users\USER-NAME\Contacts Folder. Outlook.com is a different kettle of fish.
    "Inasmuch as God limited the intelligence of man, it seems unfair he did not also limit his stupidity." Konrad Adenauer
    Isn't this a Beautiful Day, just watch some bastard louse it up.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,262 Times in 1,091 Posts
    Outlook has an AutoComplete cache (called nicknames in earlier versions) which can be used to suggest names. To disable the suggestions or clear the auto-complete cache see File | Options | Mail | Send Messages (section). To stop the suggestion uncheck "Use Auto-Complete list to suggest...". To clear the complete list "press" the "Empty Auto-Complete List" button. To remove individual entries select an entry when the list is displayed and click the "X" to right of the name.

In Outlook 2010 and later the Auto-Complete cache is in a hidden message in the Outlook data file. In older versions it was in a separate data file with a .nk2 extension.
    Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    The big problem is that a lot of people think that this "Nickname" list is from the Contacts, as it really is NOT.

Now running Windows 10 64 Bit OS.
    I am so far behind, I think I am First

Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

Thanks
    Not only that, the list is divided into to two, recent and suggestions. You can remove recent ones by clicking the X but not the suggested ones. I'm sure this has come up before but without any resolution IIRC.
    You can tell if it's in contacts or not - right click on the name and if it says add to outlook contacts, then it's not. Otherwise it's Edit contact. This is O365 Outlook.
    Cartophilia rocks

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by geistman View Post
    I opened an email in my Sent Items folder that I sent to a recipient; I right-click on his name in the To: field and select "Edit Contact"; the Contact card opens with the person's name and email address, even though I do not find his name in my list of Contacts, or anywhere else I look. And if I click on Save and Close, the contact card closes, but it does not save his information in my Contact list -- or anywhere else that I can find. This occurs with several "contacts." Am I missing something or doing something wrong? I'd appreciate any suggestions or help.
    I did this same procedure just now on Outlook 2016 and it DID create a contact in my contacts list.

What are you doing to search to try find the contact in your contacts list?

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello geistman,

Sorry if this does not directly address your issue. I admittedly read the above pretty quickly and skimmed over most of the responses. And I am assuming the contact you are saving is being saved to another list in outlook which you are not aware of (which may be an incorrect assumption on my side). Check in the contacts section of outlook to make sure you only have one group of contacts. Especially if you have multiple email addresses being used in outlook. For example, I have an iCloud contact list and a microsoft exchange contact list for one single email account. Where the contact gets added seems to depend on which device I am using or possible which email account was used for an email where I added the contact from.

Managing contacts with all the new syncing and cloud options has really become a nightmare in recent years. I've yet to find time to merge all mine and get rid of duplicates.

If you are having sync issues as the cause of your contacts being placed in multiple lists, then I may be able to point you towards a Caldav program that helps sync things across devices and keep calanders and contacts properly synced. However the learning curve is pretty steep, and you would be best advised to backup as much as possible before going down this road.

There is a Caldav plugin for outlook if you need it. At the moment, I have only focused on using it to sync my calanders. Maybe someone else here is more comfortable with it than I and can guide you through the proper setup for contacts.

Good luck