New Lounger
    Thanks

Question How to make a .lnk shortcut file to search in XP's Windows Explorer?

Is it possible to create a .lnk file which can go to XP's Windows Explorer, and search for files with specific filenames in a certain area? For example, create a shortcut to search for all the files with "truck" as part of their filenames in a folder and all its sub-folders located at "g:\Shows\Vehicles".

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I'd think you have to first create a batch .bat file then create a shortcut to that .bat file. The contents of the file could be something like dir g:\Shows\Vehicles\*truck.* where the the asterisk/* is a wild card used when other information is not available. I'd also add a Pause on the last line to keep the results on the screen. Or use a redirect such as dir g:\Shows\Vehicles\*truck.*>trucks.txt, probably would need a Folder path added if wanting the results somewhere besides in that g:\Shows\Vehicles\ folder or where the .bat file is located. Things are never as simple as desired. If wanting more you could put dir /? in a Command Prompt window.
    Last edited by Berton; 2019-03-08 at 13:43.
    "Inasmuch as God limited the intelligence of man, it seems unfair he did not also limit his stupidity." Konrad Adenauer
    Isn't this a Beautiful Day, just watch some bastard louse it up.

Thanks
    Yes, it is. Open Search and and create the search with the parameters you want; then start the search and then press the Stop button (i.e., you don't have to let it finish).

Then click File, Save Search. This will save the search in My Documents as a .fnd file. You can either double-click the .fnd file, or create a shortcut to it and place it wherever you want, such as your desktop.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to tonyl For This Useful Post:

lelefefe (2019-03-12)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you, Tonyl and Berton, for your help!

The .fnd file lets me do the thing I want. But it requires me to click the Search button separately. Is there a way that I could just get the search result straight away? Also, it always open a new Explorer to do the search. Is it possible to make the .fnd file run on the current Win Explorer? As I often do multiple searches, I want to avoid loading a lot of new Explorer windows.