New Lounger
    Thanks

Do I need Malwarebytesand Super Anti-Spyware on W10?

I have Norton but do I need to renew my licenses for Malwarebytes Premium and SuperAnti-Spyware (that I have on my W8.1)?. When my husband got his W10, a few years ago he was told that he didn't need any additional anti virus software because W10 had in-built security. There were conflicts after I installed Kapersky, so I uninstalled that and installed Malwarebytes and SuperAnti-Spyware which also caused conflicts, Norton is causing no conflict on his pc either, so does Norton provide all the security you need onW10 please?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,262 Times in 1,091 Posts
    I do not run any third party a/v software in real time. I use Windows Defender which is built-in with Win10. I run the free version of Malwarebytes periodically but at least once a month to perform an on demand scan just to get a second opinion. Also at least every other month I run an on demand free scan from one of the major A/V vendors - Norton, McAfee, Kaspersky, Trend, Eset. Again, to get another opinion since all the vendors use a different scanning engine the results are slightly different at times.
    Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    I do not run any third party a/v software in real time. I use Windows Defender which is built-in with Win10. I run the free version of Malwarebytes periodically but at least once a month to perform an on demand scan just to get a second opinion. Also at least every other month I run an on demand free scan from one of the major A/V vendors - Norton, McAfee, Kaspersky, Trend, Eset. Again, to get another opinion since all the vendors use a different scanning engine the results are slightly different at times.
    Good answer!
    Clone or Image often! Backup, backup, backup, backup...
    - - - - -
    Home Built System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit, AMD Athlon II X3 435 CPU, 16GB DDR3 RAM, ASUSTeK M4A89GTD-PRO/USB3 (AM3) motherboard, 512GB SanDisk SSD, 3 TB WD HDD, 1024MB ATI AMD RADEON HD 6450 video, ASUS VE278 (1920x1080) display, ATAPI iHAS224 Optical Drive, integrated Realtek High Definition Audio

Thanks
    Thanked 1,092 Times in 863 Posts
    On Win 10 I use just the built-in Windows Defender and MalwareBytes Premium.

Has worked for me since Win 10 was released, even though I do visit some sites (usually dealing with hacking and/or forensics) which MalwareByte's Web Protection sometimes warns me about.

Thanks
    I depend on Windows Defender and Malwarebytes Premium v3.7.1.2839. This version has a lifetime license; I'm not ready to switch to the yearly subscription model, and will stay with this one as long as they keep updating the definitions.

My security blanket on top of these is weekly automatic partition images of my OS partition, Programs partition and Users partition (with multiple copies of these).
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nougat View Post
    does Norton provide all the security you need onW10 please?
    Yes, with Windows Defender enabled.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Corbett View Post
    On Win 10 I use just the built-in Windows Defender and MalwareBytes Premium
    That's my setup too, allied to a system disk image at least monthly [before the MS second-Tuesday patches].
    Lugh.
    ~
    Dell Alienware Aurora R6; Win10 Home x64 1803; Office 365 x32
    i7-7700; GeForce GTX 1060; 16GB DDR4 2400; 2 x 256G SSD, 4TB HD

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you everyone for your helpful replies - I should really have read them before I cancelled my Malwarebytes Premium subscription. Will there be any conflict between Norton and Malwarebytes? (I will now uncancel (if there is such a word) my subscription cancellation.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,171 Times in 1,088 Posts
    There are always possible conflicts between AV and anti malware. As you have been running Norton and not mentioned conflicts you should be OK.

Instead of renewing MBAM, use it manually once a month / just before you do your backup.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    There are always possible conflicts between AV and anti malware. As you have been running Norton and not mentioned conflicts you should be OK.

Instead of renewing MBAM, use it manually once a month / just before you do your backup.

cheers, Paul
    Thanks Paul